1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reinstall NIS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by norton850, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norton850

norton850 Thread Starter

I was greeting this morning by a corrupt system32\config\system message. After the usual much fooling around things are up and running again with the exception that Norton Internet Security 2003 would not load. "Internal error needs to close" and "try running updater", which of course didn't work. Attempts to uninstall NIS with the program's uninstaller and from Windows Add/Remove programs brings up a "windows installer may be corrupt" message. Using the Rnis.exe program from Symantec I uninstalled NIS and removed all references to the progam that I can find.

Now unable to reinstall NIS. I get a Windows installer may be corrupt or you may have a virus preventing installation message. The installer works fine with everything except NIS. The virus is possible but unlikely. I've tried online antivirus scanners like TrendMicro, but they get as far as installing active x controlls and go no further. I don't see anything in my internet security settings that should be blocking active x..

Symantec doesn't feel a 2003 program is worth supporting. I don't mind updating it but I'm worried I will have the exact same problem. The idea that I'm on the net without any security is not good. So I'm going to shut down and use another system where things are secure.

All help appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice