1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reinstalled windows now drivers all gone, no disks, no internet. Please help.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HollyG, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

I posted earlier for my bf but didn't get a response and now his situation is even worse. Instead of waiting until I got there he rushed into doing everything himself. He had a bad virus, kept him from opening any applications or getting on the internet. Then he started deleting things, which finally stopped his computer from running and would get the error there were missing files. So he got a Wins XP disk from someone else to reinstall windows, again rushed into it, instead of waiting so we could use my laptop to get online and get the proper info on how to reinstall. So to make a long story short, he reinstalled it on his own, lost all his documents, photos, etc. on his computer as well as his drivers. He has no original disks for this computer, and now he can't get on the internet, I guess because that driver is missing too. So my question is, can he use a disk with drivers on it from someone else's computer? Or does he need the one's for his particular computer, which the original owner does not have. Not sure where he should go with this, besides taking it somewhere and having them fix it for several $100.

2. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

If we can find out the model of this computer would I be able to download the drivers for it onto a disk and then install them on that computer?

3. raybro

raybro

Sounds like your bf has created a real mess for himself. Knowing the make and model of the computer may be of some help. If its a big box machine, there may be a recovery partition. Post back with that info and we will see what can be done.

Raybro

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

That is pretty much what you have to do.

If it was a white box computer then you will have to open up the case and get the make and model of each component it was built with and download the drivers from each of those manufacturer websites.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HollyG:

You didn't mention if your boyfriend's computer is a desktop or a laptop, or if it's a known factory-brand one(such as Acer, Dell, Gateway, HP, Toshiba) or if it's a custom-made one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Get on his computer and go into the Device Manager. If the drivers for one or more of the devices didn't get installed, there should be a Other Devices or Unknown Devices heading. If there is, advise us what's listed in it.

Are the Display Adapters and Network Adapters and Sound Video And Game Controllers headings all present, and is there anything listed in them?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. wowlikecandy

wowlikecandy

I am in the same boat..... but a little different case. I reformatted the computer with my XP home edition pro...... that was the previous OS anyway I thought it would be a simple OS install, but no. The disk was working fine at the beginning. I began the process by reformatting the Entire C drive and was in the process of copying XP pro to the recently reformatted C drive when I started having issue's. At %12 of the files being copied to the C drive the disk started saying that it couldn't copy that file or driver. So the only option was to hit Esc. and skip on to the next one...... then I got to %25 and I had to hit esc. like 10 times to continue. So I thought maybe I will cancel set-up and start over...... so the computer restarted and now it can't read the XP disk..... so now I have a empty machine with basically nothing on it.... I can get the computer's spec's when I get home.... I know it a Dell, compact and it came with XP home edition. One last thing...... the guy that wants this thing fixed only cares if he can get on the internet, so he doesn't care about the OS or anyother programs beside being able to surf the net.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to start your own thread. Trying to help 2 different people with 2 different computers in the same thread is too confusing, and it hinders the person who started the thread.

If the computer you're working on is a Dell, you should also submit its "service tag number" with your comments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

8. wowlikecandy

wowlikecandy

ok..... copy paste time

9. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. He found someone to help him and he is installing linux for him. Sounds like this guy is a tech guy LOL. So far everything installed fine, but he has to come back with another disk because that disk had an error on it or something. I am not there, so I'm pretty clueless with what's going on, but I guess Linux is supposed to be fairly safe from viruses. So in the meantime I will let him get him set up again. If it gets all fixed up I will mark this thread solved.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I know Linux has come a long way but if neither of you don't know much about computers this may be a painful learning curve for you. Hopefully they are installing a notable distribution like Ubuntu, Red Hat or Suse.

11. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Yes he installed Ubuntu. It does look like there's a lot to learn. I am not ready to have it installed on mine yet. I will see how it goes for him first.

12. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

He couldn't download his online game without windows so he ended up having windows installed again, but now he still has no sound and is having trouble downloading the driver. He will just have to wait until someone can come out again to help him with it.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A fresh install of XP rarely installs all the device drivers. The sound driver obviously didn't get installed.

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

------------------------------------------------------------------

14. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

This is an ongoing problem. LOL It was a custom built computer for a university, so his friend had to open it to get the motherboard model number. He told him he needed drivers for ASUS P4P8X-SE. We did a search and downloaded the sound driver for WIns XP from the ASUS site. Then we extracted the files and clicked on the install.exe file but there is absolutely no response. Also downloaded it from another site and the same thing, no response. So something else must be missing.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've been unable to determine the description of the sound device in that motherboard. Does it have on-board sound or does it have a separate sound card?

Try doing a scan at the Windows Updates site and see if it brings up a sound driver in the hardware section. If it does, advise the description it lists for the sound device.

----------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice