Solved: Reinstalling drivers after recovery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gungadine

Ok, long story. Going to try and shorten it.

1.) emptied my emachines T6216 of all data
2.) upgraded to Windows7 trial version, (partitioned to C: drive, wrong)
3.) tried to maximize space and compressed my C:drive, (wrong again)
3.) bootmgr compressed, could not get it reverted, since loaded from file source and not a bootable cd, could not get to the repair feature
4.) has to go back and completely reinstall XP from scratch

Now for the question: Need help getting the drivers downloaded, they are not on the XP disk so I have to manually do them. Once I can get connected to the internet, I can do the rest, but having a hard time finding the network adapter driver. So far, I have the following drivers from e-machines

CPU : AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ Processor (with AMD 64 technology)
(512KB L2 cache, 2GHz, 2000MHz system bus)
Operating System : Genuine*Microsoft®*Windows®*XP Home SP2
Chipset : NVIDIA®*nForce™®*410
Memory : 512MB DDR (2 × 256MB), 400MHz dual channel
Expandable to 4GB
Hard Drive : 160GB HDD (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Optical Drive : 16x DVD±RW multi-format double layer
Media Reader : 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital™ (SD), smart media, compact flash, micro drive, memory stick, memory stick PRO, multimedia card, USB 2.0)
Video : NVIDIA®*GeForce®*6100 GPU
up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI-Express®*(PCI-E x16) slot available
Sound : 6-channel (5.1) high definition audio
Network : 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
Peripherals : Premium multimedia keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Ports/Other : 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back, 1 in media reader), 1 VGA external connector, 1 parallel port, 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)
Dimensions : 14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16"D
Weight : 22.5lbs

Pasted from <http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T%20Series&model=T6216>

Audio_realtek
CardReader
Chipset NVIDIA
VGA_NVIDIA
Modern_conexant

And a Driver installer program. Is there anything Im missing? I feel like a need a specific network adapter driver inorder to connect. Am I wrong?

Gungadine

Have not installed any drivers yet, just downloaded them from Emachines support site. So no, am I expecting to have connectivity after i install the chipset?

Yep CHipset first and restart the PC....it may have the ethernet drivers bundled in that as I do not see them on the site

Gungadine

Awesome, once thats done, then all I have to do is right click on the specific items within the device manager and it will do it by itself right?

Gungadine

Thanks sooooo much for the quick response and guidance. You basically confirmed my suspicions, although after the mess I made on that upgrade, twas time to exercise caution and seek such guidance.

Thanks again, Gungadine

Gungadine

i NOW HAVE CONNECTIVITY,some of the other drivers arent working, just got sound, but missing display, cant find it anywhere

Gungadine

Ok, so Im going to runa new system recovery with the XP disk, download the network driver to I can connect, then move straight to a windows 7 installation. Hopefully that will put me in a better place to move forward.

Gungadine

Update:

XP loaded, got drivers loaded. Problem now is everything is running off the D: Drive, which obviously doesn't have the space to hold and run everything. Even when I go to the cmd interface, it shows D:\ [Documents and Settings]. So I know that this must be a partition issue. (How do I get it to boot to C: Drive?)

I assume when I did the XP install, it automatically installed itself on the D: Drive
I am trying to load/install Windows7 from the C: Drive, it gets to 1/2 way of expanding files, then shoots an error that it cannot boot the system to finish installation. Probably because of the Drive conflict, (New OS on C: and existing Bootmgr and OS is on D:)

So now when ever I start the system, its totally running on D:, juggling about 4G of space, and sitting next to the C: Drive with about 180G of space.

How can I get my comp to load to the C: Drive? Do I need to create a new partition? IS there something that I missed in the Bios, (I checked this morning and theres not a choice to load directly to C:)

Hopefully, you can help. Once I can get it back to running like a normal comp, loading to C: and nothing but system recovery is on D:, I can then load the new OS directly from C and it will boot properly. This is my assumption.

Thanks again for your help

Gungadine

Perhaps, I need to completely run the XP installer disk again, manually create a partition on the C:drive for the XP OS. Then, start up, check and make sure that it booted to C:, then, load Windows7 onto C: and try and do another install, leaving D: alone.

Would this work? I know that I might have an issue with system recovery not being loaded onto D:, but, I believe I can locate that program and manually load it onto D:, just drag and drop.

Any thoughts on these assumptions and proposed procedures?

Gungadine

I also have made a new thread in the XP section, called Upgrade to Windows7 after fresh XP install.

If you could check that thread as I have better identified my proposed procedures. This can be marked solved as my new plan doesnt reflect the title of this thread

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online