1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] reinstalling my cd-rw after a crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spider joe, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spider joe

spider joe Thread Starter

HI TO YOU ALL,
    I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME SOLVE MY PROBLEM.
    I HAVE AN E-TOWER SYSTEM AND HAVE HAD TO RE-BOOT AFTER CRASHING FOUR DAYS A GO.EVERTHING SEAMS TO BE OK BUT I CANT GET MY LG CD-RW TO INSTALL. HAVE TRIED TO USE THE FLOPPY DISK SUPPLIED WITH IT BUT IT WILL NOT INSTALL AND WHEN I CHECK THE HARDWARE SYSTEM IT SHOWS THE CD-RW TO BE THERE. IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION I WILL ONLY TO PLEASED TO OBLIGE.:confused:

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi spider joe, welcome to TSG.....

If you'll drop to lower case letters, it'll be easier to read your posts.

You say it's showing up in device manager, what happens when you put a disc in the drive and try to access it thru My Computer?

3. jimi

jimi

ya lower!!

my first ? what is the LG in front of the CD-RW mean? and what message/error do you get shen you try to load off the floppy

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

jimi, LG is the brand name of the drive.

5. spider joe

Thank you for the welcome acacandy,
    After trying you're suggestion the message I got was as follows:
    Directory information c:\cdrom. Cannot find the file c:\backup\dedrriver1.26\install.exe.Make sure the files exist on your system and that the path and file name is correct.
    hope this will help you in rectifying my problem.
    thank's spider joe.

6. spider joe

Sorry i did not explain what the LG stands for but i noticed that someone has helped me out. one for you can you tell me what shen you try means.

7. ~Candy~

Ok, let's try this again. I'm not sure you're following me.....find a cd that you know works, maybe the windows 98 cd.....pop it in the cdrom drive.....does anything start to auto run?

If not, go to "My Computer" which should be on your desktop, double click on it, find the cdrom drive, maybe drive letter D or E....double click on it......now what happens? Do you get a directory of what's on the cd?

8. jimi

jimi

i really should at least read what i write/type, what i was trying to ask is do you get an error messages or any message when you try to load the software from the floppy.

but wait do try what ms. candy suggests 1st

9. spider joe

Acacandy you were right i did not quit understand sorry(ignerrance is bliss) i have placed a audio cd in the drive and that played ok. Still one thing bothers me i can't seam to get the icon up on the desk top and if the drive is working ok how will i find out if the rest of the programes are installed IE:jewel case creator etc.Thank's for the information so far you've bin a great help.

10. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

What kind of icon do you want on the desktop?

The only programs that are installed on your computer are the ones you installed. I don't understand your question. Does someone else use your computer who may have installed programs without your knowledge? Click Start | Programs. Do you see your programs there? If not, install them.

11. ~Candy~

Hi again, Joe,

Not all program automatically place an icon on the desktop, besides, you wouldn't want this anyhow, as your desktop would begin to look like a 'real desktop' where you can't find anything.

If you already installed the program, follow Max's instructions on locating it.....if you don't see the program there, then put the cd in drive, double click on it like you did the music cd.....look for a setup.exe file, double click on it, and the program should begin to install.

12. spider joe

Hi acacandy, found the problem after all this time.I wen't to the place of purches and had a word with there tech staff who said there should be no problemswith the reinstall if i use the cd that come with the software. After telling them there was no cd and talking to the maneger they agreed it was there fault for not includin it with the packagin and were very sorry.Thay have now give'rn me the correct software and all is well and run's like a dream.Thank's to all of you for the help you suggested with out that l would of been lost completly.
    Do i need to remove my post from the fourm and if so how as i am not to sure.
    spider joe.

spider joe.

13. spider joe

Hi max19 thanks for your help and if you look at acacandy's page you will find that i have post'ed an answer on it that will explain everything(i hope).Thank's again for your help.
    spider joe

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice