Solved: Reinstalling printer driver - stuck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JLX

I have Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, Dell 946 printer.

Everything went to hell when I installed Zone Alarm firewall -- because I can't sign onto the internet without closing Windows firewall every time! -- after seeing someone here recommend it and before seeing additional posts regarding how much trouble it causes. And it did. I did a system restore to get back and running, but multiple things are still haywire.

The printer is the most pressing. I thought I would try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, so I followed Dell's directions here:

http://support.dell.com/support/top...5F42F7E40CFDACE040A68F5B286C9A&doclang=en&cs=

I did these things as directed:

Double clicked on the icon
Rec'd prompt to Run
Clicked continue
Clicked OK to unzip files
"All files were successfully unzipped"

Then they say, "Follow the prompts that appear to install the driver. If prompted to restart your system, click OK."

But I don't have any prompts! Instead I'm looking at a screen that says "Computer, OS C: drivers, R145315" across the top. I'm in the install folder, right? But what do I do next? I've got folders that say "apps", "common", "drivers", "install", "pubs", "tools" all "date modified" today. If I click on the install folder, then I see folders that say "config", "English", "x86". None of which looks like anything I should mess with.

How do I continue to install this driver? :confused: I'm hoping this is a really stupid question, because then the solution will be easy! Right??

The can't-sign-onto-the-internet-without-closing-Windows firewall will be my next question.

TIA,

JL

perfume

Banned
Is your Dell printer version "Vista compatible"?In the first place,why did you have to re-install the printer driver? kindly let us know.
warm regards,
sreedhav:cool:

JLX

Yes, it was new last year and came with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. My printer quit working after I downloaded Zone Alarm. I went through the Printer Troubleshoot Help provided by Dell and their suggestion was about the driver so I decided to try to reinstall it, which had to be uninstalled first. Was that wrong?

When the printer quit working what was happening was that the printer would seem to respond --the print cartridge would shift and the window in the lower right hand side of the monitor would pop up which usually indicated percentage of printing done as it prints, but it would stay at 0% and nothing would happen.

So many things got screwed up by Zone Alarm. I wish I hadn't done that.

TIA,

JL

I have read and reread this and don't see where you uninstalled Zone Alarm. Have you done so?

JLX

Yes, I did. Right after I saw it was causing problems. I couldn't do a thing until I got rid of it.

If you boot to Vista Dvd, on the bottom of first sc reen there are some Windows fixes that might fix this.

JLX

Forgive my ignorance :eek: ... do you mean just insert the "Reinstallation DVD, Windows Vista"? I also have "DVD for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron 531 Computer Software" which includes "Device drivers" and "Diagnostics and utilities" under Contents and another for "Dell Photo All in One Printer 946".

In case it makes a difference, maybe I should mention that I'm also unable to "Check for Windows Updates". I get error code 80070005 which is not listed in their "get help" menu, and as I understand it is a nonspecific code. But "view update history" shows numerous updates every month.

And when I tried to download Service Pack 1, I eventually wound up with error code 0x8007005. I know Microsoft is offering free tech support on SP1 and I'll do that as soon as I have a day and an abundance of patience to devote to the project. I only mention it in case it's all related to my printer prob.

Thanks for your help,

JL

In the folder that says "install" is there a "setup" file or one that has an ".exe" extension?

What is the full name of the one that says x86? (and if that is a folder, what is in it?)

JLX

In the folder that says "install" is there a "setup" file or one that has an ".exe" extension?
No. In the folder that says "install" are 3 File Folders, labeled exactly:
config
ENGLISH
x86

The "date modified" on those 3 is yesterday.

There are also 3 ISF Files, labeled:
appinst.isf
apwunst.isf
BEUnst.isf

There are also "Application Extensions" labeled:
DLSIcfg.dll
DLCIgf.dll
DLCIns.dll
DLCInsb.dll
DLCIutil.dll

The "date modified" on these are all in 2006.

What is the full name of the one that says x86? (and if that is a folder, what is in it?)
x86 is the full name. Inside there's:

Name Date modified Type Size
engine.dll 11/9/2006 Application Extens... 1240 KB
Instgui 12/8/2006 Application 2773KB
NetSupp.dll 11/7/2006 Application Extens... 624KB
Setup 12/8/2006 Application 297KB
softcoin.dll 11/7/2006 Application Extens... 456KB
unicows.dll 10/30/2006 Application Extens... 241KB
uninst 12/8/2006 Application 2693KB
uninst 5/6/2006 Configuration Sett... 1KB

Those are not file folders, they have different icons. "Instgui" and "Setup" have icons of a disc. I can't make out what the others are supposed to be.

TIA,

JL

Run "setup" >>

Setup 12/8/2006 Application 297KB

If that doesn't succeed, run "instgui"

I'm not sure which is supposed to run first, one probably calls on the other.

By the way, although it is likely a system restore point will be created automatically, you should do one manually anyway before proceeding.

Start > run: msconfig > Launch System Restore and create a manual checkpoint.

JLX

Sorry to be so long getting back here, but this is really bumming me out. :(

Ok, Start Search "run" gives me the same folder for either of those commands:

Computer > OS C: > Windows > System 32 > setup

Inside that are 7 items:

En-US Date modified: 7-2-06 Type: file folder Size: blank
cmmigr.dll Date modified: 11-2-06 4:46 AM Application Extension Size: 55 KB
comsetup.dll Date and type are the same. Size: 241 KB
msdtcstp.dll Date and type are the same. Size: 50 KB
pbkmigr.dll Date and type are the same. Size: 122 KB
RasMigPlugin.dll Date and type are the same. Size: 110 KB
tssysprep.dll Date and type are the same. Size: 52 KB

Do I want to do something with the DVDs after all?

JL

Don't use "search" to find the file, there are too many "setup" files for different programs and you have reached the wrong one I'm sure.

Manually navigate to the folder you downloaded and extracted and run the setup file there. Or if you have a disk with the drivers on it, you should be able to just auto run it and follow the prompts.

If you've forgotten where it is, just do it again.

JLX

Manually navigate to the folder you downloaded and extracted and run the setup file there. Or if you have a disk with the drivers on it, you should be able to just auto run it and follow the prompts.

If you've forgotten where it is, just do it again.
I downloaded the whole thing again, and then double clicked on the set up icon in that final folder and yes, I have liftoff! :)

I got these error codes along the way:

Copy File

An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:

Error 0x800704C8: The requested operation cannot be performed ona file with a user-mapped section open.

I hit "Try Again" and this time I got "Download Complete".
Then later I got this one:

Device driver software was not successfully installed.

Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance in getting this device installed.

But it seems to be ok. :) I did the cleaning heads thing. But I still had to replace my black ink cartridge even though it was far from empty. I suppose it dried up or something.

Thanks mucho for your help. It almost feels like Christmas already to have a working printer again! :)

JL

You're welcome, check the Device manager under the USB controllers for any printer device issues; that's about the only place in the Device Manager that you would see something for the printer if it is a USB device.

I don't know what didn't get installed -- there might be some editing software that came with the printer that didn't install, but figuring out what the error message was pointing to is possible but rather difficult.

If all is working then that's fine. Usually XP has all it needs on its own for most things once the basic hardware is identified.

Cartridges do dry up from non-use; typically one should use the printer atleast once every couple of weeks to keep this from happening. Some printers are worse about this than others.

JLX

It was fine and today I went to print something, and the little box that pops up in the lower right side of my screen said 33% and stayed there, but nothing printed. I tried it numerous times after shutting off my printer and turning it back on. I also tried unplugging it. Printing is piling up in my queue but not printing. A printer test page didn't work either.

I really needed to print something for tomorrow and now I'm s.o.l. again. :(

Any suggestions? Device Manager does not include printers. Since I just reinstalled this printer, I should have up to date drivers shouldn't I?

Or could this be otherwise related to my update issue? I show updates in my update history but when I click on "Update" I get an error code.

I contacted MS about Service Pack I for Vista, as I could not download that either (nor did SPI update automatically). I mentioned my update problems, and difficulty downloading SPI, got one not-so-helpful response but no further instructions to my reply and it's been several days now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online