[SOLVED] reinstalling sound driver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrsgould

I have inadvertently uninstalled my sound device for my Windows Media Player. Here is the message that comes up:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly."

someone else had been using my computer, installed extra programs, and I was in the process of removing them and password protecting my computer when...uh oh.

Can you help me? Thanks

mrsgould

I have a DELL purchased in 2003 that has Windows XP professional installed. I'm not sure what sound card it is, but if you give me directions, I can find out. Thank you!!!

etaf

Wayne
if you visit the dell website - www.dell.co.uk you can use a configuration tool.

www.dell.com
customer service and support
then on lefthand side you have original confiuration and current configuration
i think it loads drivers etc

BUT I HAVE NEVER USED IT

failing that we can go through belarc/everest

the downside is i'm only online now for a few more mins - late in UK

mrsgould

tHANK YOU SO MUCH. I don't know if this will work yet, but I was able to enter in my service tag, so know I think I'll be able to find what I need. If not....I'll reply again. Good night :)

mrsgould

I absolutely love you!!! I did it and it worked :0 Thank you so much!

etaf

Wayne
you welcome - glad to have helped -
would you mind just letting me know what happened - as i said in my post - i have never used the dell site as i dont have a dell machine or a tag number.
it would be useful for me tohelp others..

also where did you get you servcie tag - again just in case someone asks

thanks

mrsgould

Once you're on the website, you can enter in your tag number (on the CPU) or choose the make/model of your computer. From there you choose which feature you need reloaded, and they provide links to direct you to the proper software. The website was very easy to use

If the label is missing or unreadable, the Dell Service Tag ID can also be accessed via the BIOS "Setup" on at least some, if not all, of their laptops. Maybe the same applies to desktops, but I have no experience of these (yet).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts