1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reinstalling Toshiba Laptop Without Recovery CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by phil5556, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phil5556

phil5556 Thread Starter

My girlfriend's laptop is about to get a bit of an overhaul. Extra RAM should be here tomorrow then I'm gonna wipe it and reinstall XP.

It's an Equium A60 as far as I can work out (similar/same as a Satellite A60?) running XP home. She can't find the recovery disk (if it even has one?) and I only have XP Pro.

Can I use my XP pro the same way as I would on a normal desktop? i.e. stick the CD in and boot from it to install a fresh OS? Is there anything I need to look out for on a laptop?

Done loads of desktops but never formatted a laptop before!

Cheers :)

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Notebooks are slightly different. I would not advise to just install a copy of XP- for instance, you need the battery monitoring software and about one half ton of Updates, if this machine is similar to most. There are many Toshiba utilities that also come with this machine....and drivers, specialized software updates, not "junk software" at all.... these are things definitely needed.

Your best bet would be to check with Toshiba Techs to see if there is any way to get a copy of the original software kit, if any did come with the machine, some just run the Recovery from a hidden partition- and if that has been wiped out, or the hard drive replaced, you must have the software kit to rebuild.

Yes, you can install a regular copy of XP, Home or Pro, OEM or Full Retail is fine..... But>>> you will need to visit the Toshiba support site and check for the specific updates, drivers, and perhaps some software that comes with this machine!!!!!!!

Also, what type of XP Pro are you wanting to stick in? The Product Key the notebook used, and that you may see on the underneath surface, will not work for XP Pro.....so, are you planning to "give away" your copy? If anyone has used that XP Pro Product Key, it will not allow Validation...this is not the same as Product Activation, which XP Pro does not use.....

And, if it is a Volume License XP Pro copy, it will also fail Windows Genuine Validation, it will be allowed to download and install only MS Security Updates>>> and cannot use the free software, such as newer Windows Media Player, the pay-for Windows One Care, and many other downloadable programs and utilities from Microsoft that require passing Validation.

What would your friend think, if they tried to download Media Player 11, and it did not pass Validation? There are also popup messages, when starting the computer, about Windows Genuine software.....

Lastly>>> If you fully intend to part with your copy of Pro, and it is a legally licensed version that you are giving away, you must uninstall it from any computer it is running on now.

Please excuse my references to my alluding to you doing anything wrong if you are doing what I posted just above, with a legal licensed version, etc.

An OEM full version of XP Home Edition is about $75-80 at good online stores. That would come with Service Pack 2 already included.

But, it's not all you need with a notebook computer.

There are several sub-models of this notebook, you need to find the exact one, it is probably underneath on a label.

There are about seven possible models it could be, they are all discontinued now, but support is still available. (The product family, Equium, is still being made, just in newer models)

Here is how to find the product support once you have the exact model information: If you have an Equium, it's supported from the United Kingdom site, the USA support has NO info on these models, but they do for the Satellite type, I would use the UK site....

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/discontinued_models.jsp?service=UK

At the link above, in the first drop down box, click Notebook, in the second, Equium, and then you will get a list showing the 7 sub-models, find yours, and it will give you a page like this>>

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.....do?PRODUCT_ID=101498&DISC_MODEL=1&service=UK

You will just have to find the sub-model data to get the right one.

you can download the user manual, also, very handy to have.

Strongly advise you try with Toshiba support or Customer Service, before wiping the computer.

You may be able to run a full Recovery from the hidden partition if it has one.

Or, obtain the original software package, which includes XP Home Edition, and doesn't cost that much.

3. phil5556

phil5556 Thread Starter

Cheers for the info. Yes it is a proper copy of Pro that I've got but I'll still be running it so will probably keep it away from the laptop.

Phoned toshiba and they wanted £25 for the disk - not bad but I'll try getting hold of a "Home" edition first and try the original code and download all the updates from Toshiba. Found the laptop listed and they all seem to be on the site.

If it doesn't work then as a last resort I can payt the £25

4. Byteman

Sounds like you know what you are doing, so, Cheers back!

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The original code will be an OEM "golden key" for a mass market brand such as Toshiba so I would be a bit surprised if any XP Home would work with the key code.

6. phil5556

phil5556 Thread Starter

Well it's worked and WGA hasn't caused a problem (y)

All the Toshiba stuff's on there from their site and it's running like new now. :)

7. Byteman

Hi, This way does work -- sometimes. If the copy of XP matches the type of Product Key more often it will work, but of course you have to use an unused valid Product Key....

Quite often though, when someone wants to install a regular XP Home Edition to a branded computer, the Product Key on the sticker will not work.

Hope it stays OK for you. In case it does not, you have the information to obtain the original operating system software kit.

Having one of these is very handy when you go to pass the computer on to someone else.

You can mark your thread "Solved" when you feel you want to, just go to the Thread Tools button at the top of the page and click to mark it so.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/628674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice