1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] reinstalling win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by towle44, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. towle44

towle44 Thread Starter

My computer pen 500mhz 128 ram 6g hd stopped booting to windows saying bad disk. I used the boot disk to boot to c prompt and was able to access the drive and start reinstalling windows 98. It checked the drive and everything OKAY but when it continues at the point of copying required files EVERYTHING just stops nothing else happens.
    I have tried this many times and same thing happens.

Any suggesions why it is stopping at this point? Or other possible ways to get to reinstalling windows.
    Thanks
    towle44

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Did you reformat the drive or are you doing a repair with the w98 cd?

You could try running scandisk to correct any h/d problems.

scandisk c: /autofix /surface

3. towle44

towle44 Thread Starter

Not reformatting just trying to do a reinstall.
    It does a scan and then states copying files to install windows and stops nothing happens and this copying files text is still on the screen but nothing is going on not hd access no cdrom access.

I will try the auto fix and try again.

How do I know if a HD is gone? If I can still access through boot disk isnt it still working?
    Thanks

4. cybertech

Could it be you are low on disk space?

It could be hanging due to the folder called "Desktop". Try renaming it, or if there is nothing on the desktop that you need delete it, but use caution as it will be gone.

Try putting the CD in and doing the install that way instead of from the dos prompt.

5. ddriver

ddriver

Is your 6 gig HD all of the C drive?

6. towle44

towle44 Thread Starter

After 5 hours of trying to install windows the hd chugged all the way plus final got it to run a surface scan and there are bad clusters and lost data
    So today I am going install a new HD and slave the other because it is still accessible.

thanks for the help

7. cybertech

Happy to hear you got to the root of the problem!!

HD's are fairly cheap these days and can make a big difference in the performance of your machine!

Good luck :)

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just for fun, you might check the drive manufacturer's website.....most have 3 year warranties.......

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice