1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reinstalling XP, but XP set up don't recognize my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikica, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikica

mikica Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have problem with fresh instalation of XP.

I have Acer TravelMate 5310, and Hitachi hard disk isn't recognized in XP set up. I can see it in BIOS, but when instalation starts it says that there's no hard disk installed. I've search for solution on internet, and found some tutorials for making new instalation CD with hard disk drivers integrated, but I'm not able to find drivers for my hard drive. Btw it's Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 - (S1) Can u help me plz?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

You are having this problem because you are using XP on a PC that has a SATA hard drive. XP does not support SATA drives so you need to install the drivers during the installation.

You need to go here: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_5310.html
    Then select Drivers and Utilities and download the "F6 Intel SATA HDD Driver Floppy Utility" That needs to be put on a floppy disc and when you see the message "to install third party drivers press F6" during the XP set up, click on F6 and put the floppy into the drive.

It seems quite strange that Acer supply a floppy disc version of the driver when the laptop does not have a floppy disc drive, but there is a way around this problem. Go here for directions to extract the drivers from the floppy disc download.
    How to extract the SATA drivers from a floppy disc download

Then follow this guide to integrate the drivers into a copy of the XP installation disc.
    Slipstream XP with SP3
    At instruction 9 also click on the Drivers button and follow the prompts to include the SATA drivers. You do not need to include sp3 but this will save a lot of time downloading updates after the installation is complete.

Follow this to help with the burning of the ISO file.
    Please download ImgBurn
    Install ImgBurn and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you created. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

When the CD is complete just use that in the same way as you were with the original disc, the SATA drivers and SP3 (if you included it) will be automatically installed.

3. mikica

mikica Thread Starter

Thnx Mark, it's finally working!!! :) I did all as u said and it was easy to do :) great! Thnx again (y)

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

I am so pleased that guide worked, it will benefit others in the same position.

I am still amazed by the fact that Acer supply the SATA driver only in floppy disc format when the PC has no floppy drive, there could be a method in their madness but I fail to see what it can be.

Your most welcome and glad I could help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice