1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reinstalling XP without an ENTER button?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by youseff, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youseff

youseff Thread Starter

Hi,

My laptop is nearing the end of its life - the speakers have gone, the CPU (I'm guessing) is slowly dying because my computer is becoming really slow at starting up and running programs, and to top it off both the left CTRL and ENTER keys are missing! I'm hoping to get a new one over the summer but I'm stuck with it for now.

Anyway, I'm trying to format my laptop and reinstall windows XP but I'm struggling to do so without an ENTER button as I need this to proceed with formatting. When the OS runs normally I have a program that assigns the ALT GR key as the ENTER button so I can type documents but since I'm trying to format the computer this option is not available.

Crazy as it sounds, does anybody have a solution to formatting and reinstalling XP without an ENTER button or buying and fitting a new keypad?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT: I was thinking about buying a USB numeric keypad and using the enter key on that but wasn't sure if I could use it when running basic setup.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

Use CTRL+M for Enter.

A USB keyboard might work, not sure if a Numeric Keypad would though, it may need drivers.
    You may have to enter the BIODS and enable legacy USB support (or possibly Disable it)

3. youseff

youseff Thread Starter

Perfect! Problem solved and reinstalling windows as we speak.

Thank you very much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice