Solved: Remote Access Software (Freeware)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mattb19us

Title says it all. I'm looking for some good Remote Access software that is free. i just want to keep reports and other documents at home and access them from school. Would FTP be a good way to do this, or would something web based like www.gotomypc.com be the way to go?

If you run a small FTP server on your home machine, you can access your files from Internet Explorer anywhere you are. They will appear in file/folder form, just like this site:

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/

(if you have Folder View enabled in Internet Options.)

Set a password and that is as simple as it gets.

You could also use an FTP client.

FileZilla has a client/server pair, but you really only need the server:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Another way if you want a bit more control of the machine is something like UltraVNC. It's an excellent remote control package, and has file transfer capability, as well as the ability to control the remote machine.

Along the same line of the excellent suggestion by johnwill is TightVNC. Both of these provide much more than simple file transfer.

jdl

A superb program which allows you to connect your computer with any other computer and run the second computer as if you were sitting in front of it. Very similar to the GoToMyPC program but FREE.

Go to LogMeIn.com , and select "LogMeIn Free" -> "Get Started" and create a new account. You will the be able to download a very small program to any other computer you wish to run (must be at that computer to set it up).

In this case, you could set up the program at your home AND school computer and access the school computer from home or vice versa.

You will read that transfer of files is not supported in the free version...BUT

If you have email, you may sit at your home computer and use the email of your remote computer to email yourself with the desired files attached...in effect transferring the files to yourself at your home site.

A very nice program, fairly fast, and the price is right!

(Previously posted in the "Reviews" forum)

If you're using WinXP SP1 (on the host PC), you could always use the bundled Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (you can also download compatible clients for non-XP OS'es - client side).

mattb19us

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried TightVNC and it seems to be working pretty good. I'm just using it at home right now, tomorrow I will put it on my computer at school.

Marioh -
As for the remote desktop connection. I heard that it doesn't support XP Home. Is that true. I'm running 98SE on my notebook at home and XP Pro at school. Is there any way that this setup is compatible?

The "host" computer needs to be Pro, but the "client" computer can be any version of Windows.

Stick with the VNC's. Each has some features the others lack and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for. You might also look at RealVNC and VNC Neighborhood if Tight isn't exactly what you are looking for.

Look in Help & Support (Start) for information on Remote Desktop and the differences from Remote Assistance.

mattb19us

Thanks a lot. I'm using Tight right now, and it seems to be pretty good. Unless there's anything else you all have to say, I'm going to mark this as solved.

That's good news. Now you've got me interested in experimenting with those things.

Thanks for posting back to us.

Try out the free Splash Desk online remote assistance application. Seems to work well through all kinds of browser restrictions so you can use it pretty much anywhere because it doesnt require things like ActiveX plugins to work. And its really tiny: 107kb in size:

http://splashdesk.beforia.com

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Elvandil said:
That's good news. Now you've got me interested in experimenting with those things.

Thanks for posting back to us.
If you're interested in the VNC applications, UltraVNC has the best performance, and now there's an encryption add-on that gives you fully encrypted access.

JohnWill said:
If you're interested in the VNC applications, UltraVNC has the best performance, and now there's an encryption add-on that gives you fully encrypted access.
Thanks for that. I'm really more interested in which ones will run from a read-only medium right now for a bootable CD. I tried Ultra and it seems to do the job perfectly. No saved settings, of course, but that is to be expected from a CD. It was only necessary to install it on a normal machine and transfer the settings to the read-only registry.

The great thing about these VNC apps is that they seem to work pretty well together. You can use the server from one and the client from another, if there is some advantage you see in doing so.

Elvandil said:
The great thing about these VNC apps is that they seem to work pretty well together. You can use the server from one and the client from another, if there is some advantage you see in doing so.
I used VNC of many different flavours and found they all tend to use a lot of CPU power. So if you are using VNC to monitor a server you might find any apps running on it start to run slowly during your VNC session. No big deal but when something important like a mail server goes really slow it can be embarrasing to find its your fault for leaving a VNC session open to it.

the_thin_man said:
I used VNC of many different flavours and found they all tend to use a lot of CPU power. So if you are using VNC to monitor a server you might find any apps running on it start to run slowly during your VNC session. No big deal but when something important like a mail server goes really slow it can be embarrasing to find its your fault for leaving a VNC session open to it.
That's a good point. Especially when using a remote desktop app, high CPU and bandwidth is to be expected, I guess.

It would be nice if there was a timer for unused sessions that remain idle for a certain period of time and then have them close automatically.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online