1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remote Admin Software or Remote Support Software

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pinntech, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pinntech

pinntech Thread Starter

Hi ladies and gentleman!

I am searching for reliable, secure, and fast Remote Support Package and/or Remote Administration Software on the enterprise level.

I know about RealVNC, TightVNC, Windows Built-in Remote Support, but I’m looking for something “more” reliable, with less user interaction & knowledge required.

Anyone on here know of any out on the market? I’d appreciate any links or information that you could provide.

It would be great if someone has actually tested or used some of the software & could recommend it, but even if you haven’t used them any type of reference would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & have a wonderful day!

Shane

PS: I did a search, but I kept ending up in the malware & virus removal section.

2. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

The "most" reliable thing I can think of is SSH. You can even get it for Windows, although that somewhat defeats the purpose of having reliable software. It's like putting Nitrous on a Geo Metro.

3. pinntech

pinntech Thread Starter

Hi and thanks!

However, that’s not the type of remote admin that I was looking for. Unless my quick look at the documentation on SSH was too quick.

Hey, quit talking about my GEO that way! (laughing) How did you know I put Nitrous in that thing? Actually, in a GEO, you could probably just put some good 151 in it and have the same results.

On the serious side, I am looking into Beyond Remote Control. It has all the features I am looking for and is a VAST improvement over VNC.

However, if anyone has OTHER suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks!

Shane

4. hanbe325

hanbe325

Hi,
    I use Remote Administrator(RAdmin) I prefer it over VNC but haven't tried many others. What kind of features are you looking for?

RAdmin is very clean and light but rather simplistic so it porbbly doesn't have the features you want. Plus most Antivirus program throws a fit over it. Apparently is one of the hack/cracker favorites.

A spent a while looking for a network monitoring program with a inbuilt remote admin program. But I never really found anything.

What size network are you looking after? I when to a conference about "heat" a big helpdesk/remote admin/monitoring system that might be worth looking at if you run a huge faceless network. I can't rember how much it cost but probbly in the $100K area and required a skilled devlopment team.

Anyway if you do find something you really like please let me know so I look it up :)

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Search the Networking forum (only) here at TSG and include network and tool in your search crteria. You should find some of what you are looking to find.

I remember a thread a year or more ago that was about remotely installing and managing software updates as painlessly as possible. Dig for it there and you will find something close to what you are seeking.

Also, why not click on the little white-red triangle to the right of your post #1 and ask the Moderators to move this thread over to the Networking Forum so you can probably get a better response to your question there (the Networking Forum is more relevant to your topic).

-- Tom

6. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

Ditto. (y)

7. pinntech

pinntech Thread Starter

Okay, I did the move and I also did the search in Networking forum with what you suggested and what a ton of other things. Very few hits at all. Actually the most informative one was on UltraVNC and that's about it!

I guess no one on this forum provides remote tech support or remote admin?

Thanks!

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi pinntech,

The results of your search may depend on how you have your account configured.

I have mine configured not for just the last month, 6 months or last year, but all the way back to the start.

Edit your default My Account, Edit Options to be "Show all threads". Then reissue the Search of the Networking Forum with various keywords.

-- Tom

9. bogyi

bogyi

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use UltraVNC, and in a couple of cases, Remote Desktop. Never felt the need for more.

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

We just use VNC and trust me, I work for a very large company.

But if I had my preference, I would use Zenworks.

12. stormyonell

stormyonell

For Remote Support, we use Log Me In Rescue. It's great.
    The first time someone needs support, we direct them to a page, have them enter a pin code and we connect and log on. No Active X required which was important to us as many of our clients are banks and their users cannot install Active X controls due to security policies. They can also request help from a button on our website.
    Then, while we have an open session there is one click in the tech console that installs a Rescue icon on their desktop. Next time they need help, they just open and connect.
    I was able to customize and brand the web site button, the chat window they see and the desktop icon.
    It has great reporting and tracking, I can see which tech has been sitting around all day and which tech has been in sessions with clients!
    I can view the chat logs if a client complains the tech was rude or did not seem to know what they were doing. If I really want to keep an eye on someone, I can record their sessions.
    It is completely web based, the techs log into the console from a web browser. The tech console is very functional, remote reboots that immediately reconnect the session, one click to see system info, event logs, driver details, etc. I can push and execute scripts, URLs, two way file transfer, etc.
    They have a free trial available, too.

13. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

citrix is a bandwidth hog. Come to think of it, I guess they're all bandwidth hogs. From what I recall about citrix, it was supposed to reduce the amount of bandwidth use at our company. I think what we were using previously was remote desktop.

14. pinntech

pinntech Thread Starter

Hi and thanks everyone for the responses!

As to Citrix, that’s actually a “replacement” for Terminal Services and it is much better than TS, much more reliable, less overhead, and more capabilities too. It is better than TS, but neither of them is really what I’m looking for at the moment. We already use TS on a few workstations.

STORMYONELL… Thanks, I’ll have a look at it and see what it’s like.

SQUASHMAN… Is that UltraVNC, RealVNC, or another VNC?

JohnWill… Thanks! I have been looking into UltraVNC. It seems to be really close to what I’m looking for and best of all… it’s FREE. Does that mean you don’t really use it often? I was hoping to get an opinion on performance and maybe a few tips on Encryption since it is a plugin.

BOGYI… Any tips on deploying, encryption, and so forth with UltraVNC?

And… I’d like to add that I find BEYOND REMOTE CONTROL very interesting also. It’s a little “expensive”, but seems to perform very well. I don’t care too much for their licensing and I had a long talk & tons of emails with them about their licensing. They offer a SITE license, but in some cases it’s just cheaper to buy license packs. SITE license is a little strange versus the license packs.

I really do appreciate all the suggestions and comments! If anyone has “another” one to add, I’d love to hear from you.

I’ll leave this open for a few more days and then close it if I don’t hear back from anyone else with new suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks!

Shane

15. cc64

cc64

LogMeIn is great. Its so easy to use, theres so many features, its quick, and a small program. The school I attend(New Jersey Institute of Technology) uses it. I use it to help my family out when I am away. And its nice because you can set it so that nobody but you can disable it :).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/668450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice