1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remote Connection to Client FROM Domain Controller

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dizzle_deasy, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dizzle_deasy

dizzle_deasy Thread Starter

I can currently connect to My Domain Controll using Remote Desktop Connection. What I want to do is connect to each client and see what software is running on their machine and basically not have to ever touch the client PC. I can remote Desktop Connect to the client if it is enabled on the client machine but it doesn't allow me to connect while a user is on the machine. I don't want to have to disturb the user to be able to connect.

Thanks for any help

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You could use Psexec to get to a dos prompt on their machine. But their are plenty of inventory programs you could run on your domain to see what the configuration of the machine is. Don't know of anything free offhand though.

3. dizzle_deasy

I am trying to use wbemtest to connect to the client machine's WMI namespace but I keep getting an error: "The RPC server is unavailable". I can't figure out why the RPC server is not available. I tried turnging the service on using remote computer management but I still get the error.

4. dizzle_deasy

Ok I got the psexec along with the rest of the tools suite. They work great for most computers. although some of the computers on my network don't respond. I know they are on and connected, People are using them to do their work. Any ideas on why they might not be responding to me? I can't think of any logical reason why I might have this problem.

5. techman5000

techman5000

Do you just want to be able to do a cursory look to see what programs are running, or do you want to be alerted in case any given program is opened? If it's the latter you might want to check out logmein IT reach. I use that for my business but it is paid so if you're looking for a free program that might not be what you want.

6. dizzle_deasy

I just want to be able to retreive a list of installed programs which I found I can do with pstools. The problem I am having is that some of the computers wont respond at all. I try to ping the computer and it returns "Request timed out." which tells me that the computer is not responding. If I use remote desktop connection I can login to the computer and so I know that the computer is on and attached to the network just that it doesn't want to respond to pings or any other tool I want to use to remote access it. Now I made a connection via remote desktop and was able to log in and while being logged in I tried to ping the computer Name and IP address separately from the computer that I made the connection from. Both of the pings returned "Request timed out.". I am having a tough time figuring out why I am getting this response while I am connected to this remote computer via the network. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

7. dizzle_deasy

I try to use psexec on one of the machines that is not responding to ping and I get this:

Make sure that the default admin$ share is enabled on 192.168.1.182

I am not sure of what the default admin$ share is that needs to be enabled. If anyone has a response to this that would be great.
    I am not sure where to find this setting to enable it.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If the machine doesn't respond to a ping not sure how your expecting to connect to it. Ping reply needs to be addressed first before you try to connect ot a share or access a program or list?

9. dizzle_deasy

I have figured out my problem with extensive google searches and by messing around. I found that port 445 was being blocked by Windows Firewall. I had previously set the computer to allow remote desktop connections which opened TCP port 3389. I could connect to the computer remotely but still couldn't ping the computer. I turned off windows firewall and found that I got a reply for ping so I started searching for the setting that would allow the ping request to get a response. I found the setting and changed it so that I could query information about installed programs and have the ability to ping the machine. Then I set the scope of the port so that only my domain controller could connect to the machine remotely. I am posting this information about the resolve of my problem for any person that may have the same problem that they may find an answer.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice