Solved: Remote connection to DSL Modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dwight Dodge

I have 1 computer connected to a DSL modem at my house. I have another computer (both xp) in my office in my barn. The phone lines come to each location from the road but they have the same phone number. I think both locations are on the same power grid. Power also comes to each building seperately from the road. The house and the barn are 1,000 feet apart.

Is there a DSL solution using phone lines to share the single DSL modem? Is there a power line network solution? Short of running CAT5 or 6 underground is there a LAN or WAN solution?

Thanks,
Pete

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No chance of putting multiple DSL modems on one phone line, that's a non-starter.

It's either buried cables or wireless.

If you have line of sight between the two buildings, you can use a wireless solution with a wireless access point at the house and a wireless bridge at the barn. A pair of exterior directional antennas like one of these complete the picture.

One outdoor solution: [HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

Dwight Dodge

Thank you John,
I thought I replied back a few days ago but evidently it didn't go through. I will go with the cable solution as I think by using some elbow grease I'll save a bit of money and have a faster, more stable connection. Just need to be careful i don't slice it later on.
I still want to know more about power networking. I read a few years ago a signal is broadcast on all lines between two transformers. I'll do some more research.
Thanks for you help - Pete

Just remember Ethernet using copper is limited to 100 Meters (328.08399 feet) between devices, so you would need at least two switches between the two buildings, or you need to use fiber. Or 10 mbps Thicknet (10Base5), using RG-58 coax. That can go 500 Meters

Ethernet maximum cable length

Dwight Dodge

I didn;t know about these limits. Back to the drawing board. Until then it will be sneakernet which has a 1/2 mile limit in my case.
thanks,
Pete

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd consider fiber, you really don't want copper running between two buildings like that without a lot of protection on the ends.

I'd be doing it with wireless and hi-gain directional antennas.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online