1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remote desktop in Vista.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Olle, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

Hello Everyone!
    I have tried to get Remote Desktop to work without any luck. Here is how I have done it: I have a router D-Link-604. I went to my registry in the window and change the port (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber) to 4000.
    Next I logged in to the router D-link 604. Selected Advanced and enabled a new virtual setting as follow:
    Name-Remote
    Private IP:
    192.168.0.(here I entered three digits after getting the ip number from ipconfig for my computer).
    Protocol Type: TCP
    Private Port: 4000 (Since I changed this in the windows registry)
    Public Port:4000
    Schedule: Always
    Apply

Then I enabled remote to this computer by right clicking on Computer-Properties-Remote Settings and checking the box -Allow Remote Assistance Connection to the computer. And in the same dialog I checked "Allow connection from computers running any version of Remote Desktop.

Then I left the computer running and tried from outside to remote to the desktop. I got my ip number by checking on the internet "whats my ip" i.e. the ip TO the router.

When I open the Remote Desktop dialog from outside and try to connect to the computer at home, I entered the ip number on the Computer field. But it fails to connect. I also tried to enter the ip number followed by the port number like this: 195.XXX.XXX.66:4000

4000 is the port number that was opened. This failed also. Please I neeed some help to get this working. any guidance would be appriciated. Thanx.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    "Allow Remote Assistance Connection" and "Remote desktop" are two different worlds.

Also, Remote desktop is only available on a local network on a Vista Ultimate machine.

The remote Assistance, the remote person must be sent a email or IM with invitation and password so they can log in to your machine.

3. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

To DaveA: I want to be able to remote desktop and I do have Vista Ultimate on my machine.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    BUT, is the other machine on the same network?
    NOT the internet!

5. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

No, the other machine is not on the same network.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you open port 4000 on any software firewall, including the Vista firewall?

The proper format to use on your remote computer is 195.XXX.XXX.66:4000.

7. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

No, how do I open the port in the firewall? The only firewall that I have is Vistas.

8. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

I have now added and opened the port (TCP Port:4000) in Vistas firewall. when trying to connect to the machine from outside I recieve an error message that indicates that it can not connect to the remote computer. Help anyone???

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just a caution--do you have a static IP on the PC to which you are trying to connect (either manually assigned or "reserved" by the router)? If not, your private IP could have changed since you started down this path.

10. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

I've checked my ip and it seems like the last digits 195.XXX.XXX.XXX. were tvÄ digits couple of days ago and now is three digits. I have a LAN-connection and thought that I hade a static ip. I guess since the last digits are changed, it is not a static ip. But it stays the same ip number for few days or this is the first time that I see that has changed. Now how can I keep track of the ip updated number. Is there a program can keep tack of this? Appriciate for any suggestions.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was referring to the private IP of your computer; you want that static so that the port forwarding works.

One, of several services, to keep track of your public IP address is this Free Dynamic DNS.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You've sent me 2 Private Messages. That's two too many to me! :(

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice