1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remote Desktop Winows 7 – Add User

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cautiously, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cautiously

Cautiously Thread Starter

I want to use my windows 7 Professional work computer as the host.
    I want to use my windows 7 home computer, or my daughter’s windows 7 laptop as the client.

Work (Win7 Professional) – Host:
    I located the Remote Settings link and checked “Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer;” (I also made sure my Firewall would allow Remote Desktop)
    I selected the 3rd radio button option (“Allow connections only from computers running…”) because both the home computer and laptop have Network Level Authentication.
    I clicked Select Users
    I clicked Add
    “From this Location” shows my work computer name.
    When I type my User name from my home computer I get an error (“An object named "xxxxx" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection” Aren’t I trying to tell the work computer who to be looking for that may try to connect remotely? How do I establish the home, i.e., client, User name in the host?

I know this is just the first hurdle: I will also need help with port forwarding and what ip address to type in from the client (Computer:) I believe it is the ip address that I find when I visit whatismyip.com.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Cautiously

I own a small business. There are two work computers connected to a router (but computer2 is hardly ever turned on....ancient software). There are also 2 Canon copiers connected to the router. The two computers are part of workgroup called TYPESETTING.
    Computer1 is the machine that has Windows 7 Professional and is the one I want to use as the host.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Pretty sure that's just Microsoft having their fun with terminology. It wants to know the user account(s) on the host that are to allow remote login.

4. Cautiously

OK, I went back to Add Users>Advanced>Find (?) where I was shown a list of possible Users to add. I saw a bunch of entries, PLUS a few Users that I recognized ("Matt" who sold me the machine, and who "already has access" due to the fact that he was an Administrator)

I did not see my User name ....why not? Is it because I was loggedin under may name? (Testily), well whose name would I be loggedin under...?
    When I created my User account 2 yrs ago, I set myself as an Administrator. Why wasn't I granted "already has access" the same as Matt?
    However, I also saw a User name of HomeGroupUsers$ I checked to see if I am a member of that group and I am, so HomeGroupUsers$ is the User that I added. That name seemed to work.

I even found my
    router user name/password and seemed to have success forwarding port 3389...I say that I did this correctly, because when my daughter tried to connect from my home computer, she was able to get to the screen to input the client (home) User name and password.

However, once she tried to connect
    she got this message: An authentication error has occurred. The local security authority cannot be contacted."
    Help!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't know. Maybe because "and any members of the Administrators group can connect even if they are not listed."

To login to the host (your office machine) she needs to use one of the accounts on the host.

6. Cautiously

Thank you for answering my questions; that gave me the motivation to keep at this, though I wanted to give up.

I discovered there's something wrong with/strange about my host User name (or profile?)
    I purchased the machine from a guy named Matt, who of course, was once a User with Administrator status. Apparently when I created my user account, I must not have created a new user; I merely changed the name of Matt to Susan (me). I don't remember exactly that I did this over two years ago, but it seems highly likely. (I always found it kind of curious that my printer log would say that the job originated from Matt, not Susan, since I login and print from Susan. Why question something that works, right?) The User folder on the C: still shows a user Matt, and no Susan. This never had any bearing on what I was doing; I never discovered this until a few days ago.

I few days ago when I tried to get Remote Desktop enabled, I did see a message that "Matt already has access" as a user for Remote Desktop. Plowing in further through the Advanced tab, I saw Matt in the user list, but no Susan. My trials are recorded above, where my angel pointed out that it's the host information that should be input on the client's machine, but I kept getting the error message.

Today, in desperation, I created a new user XXX as an Administrator, loggedin and went to the Remote Desktop window. When I saw that "XXX already has access" and that XXX also showed up on the user list, I thought, "I wonder ...... should I be inputting "Matt" from the client machine?" YESSSSSS! Once I did that, I was able to connect remotely.

Thank you, thank you, for your help! And if you have any comment about how to standardize the user name on my work computer, I'd like to read it.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

From everything I've read over the years it is impossible to completely change a user account name. It seems to work, almost works, but sooner or later something not right pops up.

Better, even at this late date, is to create a new account (Suzanne? :) ), get it all set up the way you want (essentially you can copy the profile information), and then eventually delete the Matt/Susan account.

Best, when you get a pre-owned computer, is to do a "clean" install of the operating system.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice