Solved: Remote Desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi everyone. Happy Holidays.

I have remote desktop working from within my network. I need to configure it for outside the network.

Need to finish the project today, so I don't have time to do my usual 'googling for dollars' --- any fast help will be appreciated.

If you already have remote desktop working on the computer you want to remotely control, simply forward the ports on your router to that pc then you will be able to access it elsewhere with your external ip address.

Remote desktop port is 3389

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You are a genious!

Thanks luv, that worked like a charm!

Merry Christmas! :)

Hey one more thing... if you want to RD multiple computers on your side heres a nice link -

Need to reg hack your other PC's to change the port they listen on.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759

Just want to cover all the bases in case you wanted to access multiple.

Another thing is one you RD into your network you can actually open up another RD to another network PC as well (though the next RD is a tad slower than the first). I have had 6 RD's nested from one PC to another though I don't know if there is a limit.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Thanks StumpedGuy and Squashman.

I'll have a read up on that info as well. For right now, I just needed to see one computer, but nice to see other options :D

Happy Holidays to you two as well :)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Another question guys....is there any way to restart a computer using the remote desktop?

Not on a XP comp using regular windows remote desktop, on a 3rd party program you probably can. Restarts or shutdowns on windows remote desktop is only allowed on server operating systems

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Grrrr......do you think there is some kind of batch file, like windows 98 had, where you can click on the icon and have it do a restart?

If you are just trying to reboot the remote desktop, try this if you can get to the remote desktops Start > Run type in
SHUTDOWN -r -t 01 OK

If not try doing it from a command prompt on the remote desktop.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi, thanks. Just want to be able to restart the machine. I have a program running for video cameras that can't be shutdown......so I need to be able to restart every few days. With the remote desktop, I don't have that option.

Let me give that command a try.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'd say that we have solved this thread twice! :D

Thanks VirtualMe :D I've seen you around, not sure if I've run into you before or not :)

Happy Holidays!

I think I'm good to go now :D

jiml8

Shutdown is provided as part of the resource kit. I believe the resource kit comes on the XP cdrom; installing it (I think it is optional) will give you the necessary command.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online