1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remote Printing Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by romlinsys, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

We just got new Windows 7 64 bit Dell Computers to replace Dell 32 Bit XP machines..

We connect to a client using Cisco Quick VPN and then use Remote desktop to the server..

When connected, the local printers used to be available, but now only 2 printers show up, but not the ones I want.

The desktops are connected to the printers locally and work fine.. The problem is the remote connection not linking back.

The computers that we are connecting to are a 32 bit Windows 2003 Server and a 32 bit XP desktop..

The printers are installed on the client side Server and XP machine using 32 bit drivers and local dekstop using 64 bit drivers..

Could this be caused by having the different drivers???

It worked fine in XP???

Thanks for any help

2. olga1927

olga1927

I think it needs to have printer drivers for Windows 7. Do you mean that?

3. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

It may need 64 bit drivers, but you can't install them on a 32 bit machine that I know of...

4. olga1927

olga1927

If your version of Windows is 64 bit, you need 64 bit drivers.

Maybe I don't understand.

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

r :

If 64 bit drives for the printers have been installed, I don't know why the problem exists. I am sure that someone at this from is familiar with Cisco VPN. I don't have that expertise.

Please provide the brand, model & model # of each printer for which the problem exists.

Thanks.

RF123

6. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

I don't think this has anything to do with the Cisco VPN software..

I believe the redirect of the printers takes place during the Remote Desktop connection..

The local resources option is checked and it works for a network printer connected to the domain controller which is a 32 bit Windows 2003 server..

The printer models are all HP brand.. There is a laserjet 4200n which is the main one I am trying to connect to and there are Laserjet 4050, Laserjet 4350, Laserjet 4250, and Laserjet P4015 printers that I would like to have access to..

Thanks for the suggestions

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

I will defer to your expertise.

Please provide the steps taken to install the drivers for these printers:

Please provide a screen shot, attached to a reply, of:
    1. start > printers & devices

2. network & sharing center > "see full map"

3. computer > network
    Feel free to redact or erase [ if using Paint ] any sensitive information

You might find some help at http://support.hp.com .
    There are 5 Laserjet P4015 's, so it may be helpful to know which subgroup to which each of the 4 applies.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&tool=&query=Laserjet+P4015

RF123

Attached Files:

8. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

Well I figured out a way to make everything work..

We have an additional domain controller that is running 64 Bit Windows Server 2003..

I installed the printers on the server with the 64 bit drivers and shared them..

I then installed the shared printer on the desktop..

Now when connecting via the Remote Desktop connection they show up and work fine..

Not sure why they don't show up when the same printer is installed directly on the desktop, but they don't..

Thanks for all the help

I will mark this one solved..

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

r :
    Congratulations.

An MCSE might be able to help you with an explanation.
    You are welcome.

unsubscribed

RF123

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Because the print server is a direct communication to the printer, for the desktop.

Think of it a part of a chain.

RF123

11. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

I was thinking that it probably worked, because Remote desktop looks at the server for the printers before the desktops..

I am just glad that it works..LOL

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice