1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remote Procedure Call disabled....Services

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sizzoid, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sizzoid

sizzoid Thread Starter

Using WindowsXP Media Edition - On bad advice, went to control panel > services and set RPC to disabled. Rebooted. Now, I can't even copy my files due to lack of services running. Woe is me. I also wiped out restore points. Doh!
    Is there a way to restore default service settings ? If not, I have Linux installed on another partition. Could I use it to save my data to another partition, maybe, and then reinstall windows?
    I'd appreciate any and all ideas here. :D

2. The Hound

The Hound

If you can boot to windows, click start, run, type net start rpcss , click ok.

Same for rpclocator if that's the one you disabled.

3. sizzoid

sizzoid Thread Starter

Thank you The Hound for the quick come back. Things are improving. It seems that many other services depend on RPC, but they aren't aware of me turning it on. So they need to be started too.
    Let me play around with it some more tonight, and I'll get back to here tomorrow evening after work. Thanks for your help so far. Don't die, I may still need u. lol.
    Later.

4. The Hound

The Hound

More tomorrow then, but set those two to automatic, and forget you ever knew how to disable them...

5. cfhpantera

cfhpantera

I would like to know where you got the advice to disable that service from??? Remote Procedure Call is the most important service of all. Almost everything depends on it if you look at it's properties under the dependence tab. To make sure you have all services set to their default settings you can refer to this guide http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

6. BobJam

BobJam

YES, I'll echo cfhpantera. That was some REALLY BAD advice you got. Whoever told you to do that might not be somebody I would ever ask for advice (especially on computers) again!!!

7. sizzoid

sizzoid Thread Starter

Gentlemen,
    Thanks to you all. I tried everything The Hound suggested repeatedly, but I still couldn't get the control panel to let me change anything in Services. So I looked in the registry and changed the start value. Still no good.
    Linux saved my data to a spare partition and I've restored windows from the Gateway factory disc. The MBR was left untouched and the partition table unchanged, so I can still dual boot like before. Never again will I stray from this site for advice. I'd rather not say where I read about my bad move.
    I'm in good shape now so thanks again. You guys make this site..don't anybody try to convince me otherwise. See you again with something a little more fun than this one.

-- Only the nail that sticks up gets hammered down --

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice