1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remove Cell Value If Cell Value Is Zero (Microsoft Office Excel 2007)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by blujein, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blujein

blujein Thread Starter

I'm working on a spreadsheet at the moment which displays a range of cells all containing values referenced from another spreadsheet (within the same workbook). This system works fine.

Every day, the original worksheet is updated. So, it has fields already arranged up until the end of the year. A row for every date. Now, needless to say, rows for dates in the future contain no values, and so when the spreadsheet I am working on now references those cells, it displays "$0.00" (which is correct, given I am dealing with financial figures).

Now, all of that works as expected, however, on the spreadsheet I am working on, all of those figures are displayed in a line graph. This line graph, at todays date, shows an enormous drop given that the fields for the rest of the year all show a zero balance.

What I need to do, is to get the remainder of those fields (every field that says "$0.00") to not display anything at all. So, if the value is $0.00, it would not display a value at all, and therefore not show anything on the graph.

Can someone tell me how I can achieve this? I'm sure it can be done with an "if" statement, but I'm not sure how to structure it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pedro15

Pedro15

=If(a1="","",Sheet1!a1) and drag it down.

Where a1 is the first cell in spreadsheet you are working on, and sheet1!a1 is the sheet within workbook containing figure.

Not sure if the graph will recognize the "blank' cell as blank or "0"
    You could try that

Pedro

3. bomb #21

bomb #21

"This line graph, at todays date, shows an enormous drop ..."

When you say "values referenced from another sheet", you mean linking formulas, right? (like =Sheetx!A1)

Use this instead:

=IF(Sheetx!A1="",#N/A,Sheetx!A1)

4. blujein

blujein Thread Starter

That did the trick. Thank you very much. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!