1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remove Norton Internet Security 2007 with Norton removal tool or let NIS 2009

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Saussure, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

I've got a Sony-Vaio laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 and Norton Internet Security 2007 on it. I would like to upgrade to NIS 2009. I have already talked to a Symantec Support technician, and he has told me that there are basically two ways of removing NIS 2007 if I want to upgrade to NIS 2009: run the removal tool twice to get rid of NIS 2007, then install NIS 2009, or let NIS 2009 remove NIS 2007. I don't know which is the better option, can't make up my mind. Does anyone have experience with such an issue?

2. CJS23

CJS23

A removal tool issued by the software provider is usually a good idea.

Additionally, I use Revo uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com Choose Advanced when prompted for removal type. I find this FREE program very useful in removing both unwanted programs and the gunk it leaves behind. This program works even if the built-in uninstaller for a program fails.

3. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Looks like the removal tool, then...I'm not quire sure about trusting built-in uninstallers, that's why I'm confused about how to remove the older version of NIS. Wish I had a removal tool for the stomach ache I am currently experiencing *groans*. Thanks for your opinion on the matter.

4. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Hm, I just read another thread where someone installed NIS 2009 on top of NIS 2008 and had problems afterwards...until running the removal tool and reinstalling NIS 2009. Well, it's the removal tool.

5. CJS23

CJS23

Go to http://www.revouninstaller.com and download it (completely free)

As long as the program in question appears in your list of problems, Revo has always, without exception, worked for me and my customers in removing software. When prompted, choose Advanced as the removal method and even if the built in uninstaller fails, Revo will remove ALL traces of the program.

9/10 times the built in uninstaller leaves rubbish behind, I only ever uninstall with Revo.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/795899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice