1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Remove Office Free Trial

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by San7883, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. San7883

San7883 Thread Starter

:confused: Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can give me some advice before I start ripping my hair out here. I'm using XPand I bought Office Professional recently but my laptop came with a free trial of Office Standard Edition. I now have a couple of problems.
    1) The 'Office Standard Edition' which was on the computer when I bought it does not appear in 'Add or remove programs.' I made the mistake of trying to remove it by deleting the folder from program files. This means that whenever I start up Windows Installer tries to run and then prompts me to run outlook and set it as my default mail client.
    Why doesn't it appear in add or remove programs?
    And how do I stop the computer searching for the programs on startup?
    Also how the heck do I remove it fully?

2) Thinking that I had removed the free trial version I then installed the Professional edition that I bought. The components that weren't included in the free trial (Office Access, Office Infopath etc) work fine but every time I try to open Word, Excel or Powerpoint (which were included in the free trial) windows installer pops up then it tells me it cannot find the installation file. It seems to me that whenever I try to use something that was in the original free trial version the computer tries to default to the original version not the one I just installed.
    I'm one of those scary people that knows just enough about computers to mess things up but not enough to fix anything. ie I'm barely computer literate please can someone help me???
    :confused:

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Oh dear.

"Deleting" applications is always a disaster.

The tidiest way might be to uninstall Office Pro, and see if that uninstalls the trial.
    If not, you should reinstall the trial, and then install Pro, which should "upgrade" the trial I believe.

The problem is the incorrectly deleted portions as you say.

3. San7883

San7883 Thread Starter

hey,
    thanks for replying - the problem is I have uninstalled the pro version (twice) and it doesn't remove the trial version.
    Can anyone give me any clues as to how to get rid of the trial version completely??
    Also anyone know whether it's correct that the only the programs that appear on 'add/remove programs' are the ones I have installed myself since I bought the computer - shouldn't I be able to see all programs there???

4. San7883

San7883 Thread Starter

Ok after another whole day of tearing my hair out I'm still no further forward - surely there is some clever individual out there who can help.
    pleeeaassseee!!!!

5. San7883

San7883 Thread Starter

Just thought I'd update in case anyone sees this threa in future and is having similar problems.
    I have sorted the problems out. I downloaded 'Innovatools Add/Remove Plus' which allowed me to remove the 'office standard edition trial' which was preinstalled on the laptop when I bought it. I hadn't been able to remove this before because it didn't appear in the add/remove list of programs.
    This tool removed it all for me and then when I installed office pro this time there was no problem with the program trying to use the trial version when I accessed word etc.
    There doesn't seem to be any problem with the innovatools tool despite all the usual windows warnings about not being able to recognise the publisher etc.
    Hopefully this will help someone in the future.
    Thanks again Kiwiguy for your suggestions.
    San

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice