1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: remove read only option files from other computer hdd

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mrcartech, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrcartech

mrcartech Thread Starter

I am not new to computers but i have never encounterted a prob such as this.
    explination:
    My computer after (2 years) was getting to the point where the sofwere was about to go because i dont use any kind of surceurty so it was pieling up with virises and other stuff as such and finally it just quit blue screen and all. so i did a reinstall of vista on a sperate drive and transfured all the good files that were scanned with 3 different programs over to the new install. all of them said i did not have permiten for these files FINE i said and got all the permissions for admin, system and my user (all except specal) for all the transfured files on the new hdd and install of vista. I uncheck read only on the first file in the whole tree and hit apply. Then hit apply to all subfolders and files. Then in properties it shows read only is unchecked then i close the properties window. Then when i go to reopen the properties windows for the same file it shows it is still checked with a gray box.
    Then i wonder what the flip is going on anyone got a sultion from this pickle i am in.
    ill do anything to get these files unchecked i have a ton of music and doc files i need to be able to edit.

i aperashite any help avalible and thank you.:)
    oh and i am useing vista home p on both hdds
    and i suck at spelling
    if all else faills i am going to format the other hdd the fat32 and transfur all the files back and fourth and see if that solves the prob it is just it is over 100,000 files

2. gyclone

gyclone

3. mrcartech

mrcartech Thread Starter

yo me agaion thanks for the fast reply but no cake
    i followed the command prompt instructions to the letter
    open elevated command prompt
    type takeown /f C:Users\mrcartech\
    then it says i got the ownership in (success) now owned by mrcartech1\mrcartech
    then in same command prompt i type icacls C:\Users\mrcartech/grant mrcartech1\mrcartech:F
    then it says invalid parameter
    mrcartech1\mrcartech:F

my hdd is actually C so i tried that to in place of F but to no ad-vale
    is their something i am doing wrong? why is it giving me an invalid?
    :mad:

4. gyclone

gyclone

It looks like you may be missing a space before "grant". However, you can browse to the folder in Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder, select "Properties", and you should be able to adjust the permissions in there, if they need to be adjusted. I think it's on the "Security" tab, and under "Advanced Settings", but I don't have a Vista machine here, so I can't run through the whole process.

5. gyclone

gyclone

Sorry, the space doesn't go before "grant", it goes before "/grant". Like " /grant".

6. mrcartech

mrcartech Thread Starter

aaw crap gyclone i am dumb i did not complety understand what read-only ment thx for the help tho i did apershiate it and it will prob help me in the future

consider the case solved!

7. gyclone

gyclone

I found some more information. Apparently, this is a bit of a "Known Issue", but I've never had to go beyond the step of taking ownership. See if this helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

8. gyclone

gyclone

Glad I could help! The last link I posted was information I wasn't aware of before, either, so this helped me, too!! Happy computing!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!