1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: remove the word (recovered) from win7 dual boot screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by grissom, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have a dual boot system (Win7 &XP). I have had to recover the boot files for Win7 in the past. Now the boot screen shows a choice between 'earlier version of windows' and 'Windows 7 (recovered)'. Annoying. Can anyone tell me please, how to remove the word 'recovered' from the Win 7 description?

Thank you in anticipation.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I use easybcd free edition to do that, use the "Edit Boot Menu" tab, highlight the recovered entry and click "rename"
    http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Scroll down to bottom of page and click "Download free for limited, non-commercial use" then click the download button on that page, no need to give email if you don't want to

3. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Thank you Mumbodog!

Downloaded and installed, thank you. Problem solved. For the first time ever my boot menu now displays XP instead of 'earlier version of windows'; plus of course Windows 7!.

Put up with the problem for 2 years unnecessarily., doh!

Great stuff. Thanks again, will mark as solved.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Glad I could help, enjoy!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!