Solved: Removeing Norvell on System

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n79ford

I got a laptop from a kid that just graduated college, when I boot it up it gives me the error NWGINA.dll could not be found please contact the administrator. It is running windows xp professional. And I would not like to format if at all possiable. I boot up in safe mode to try and get on under any account i can think of Administrator, Manager, Guest, His user name, None of these accounts work. Please HELP!

n79ford

seccond note on that- if i do the repaire, will i loose all the information on the laptop? ie in my docs and ect?

Can you log onto the pc at all

n79ford said:
seccond note on that- if i do the repaire, will i loose all the information on the laptop? ie in my docs and ect?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
n79ford said:
What does that matter. You just got it from the kid and can't login to it. You shouldn't have any documents on it yet. Just reinstall.

Just do a repair install if you have a install disk to do so.

From your first post it sounded like you don't want to reformat and reinstall.

You do not need to reinstall if you forgot the admin password.

There is a boot disk you can download at:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.

n79ford

I will give that a try when I can find a cd around here thanks BOB i will get back to you soon.

n79ford

Now that the 2nd boot disk i made does not work, because i am thinking that the file system is NTFS so there for I can not modify the files in dos. That is just one of my thinking ideas. Also When I tried to login under the administrator in the repair console it needs the administrator password, which i do not have. I tried some nt password recover software and when it ask what password you would like to reset there is no administrator account listed on there. Does this mean novell did not have one? there is a manager account but i have resetted that and still nothing, becides when going from the recover console you need the administrator password.

If you are using the boot disk to change the password, it can work fine with NTFS.

Have you read the instructions for changing passwords. It is supposed to default to the administrator account.

Have you tried changing their user account's password if somehow the administrator's account really got deleted.

n79ford

yeah i tried the "manager" account changed it to password once and then didnt work then changed it to a blank password where there was nothing there. Let me do it agan and see if i left out anything.

n79ford said:
yeah i tried the "manager" account changed it to password once and then didnt work then changed it to a blank password where there was nothing there. Let me do it agan and see if i left out anything.
Would that be the "administrator" account?
Also, I have seen where the SAM (security) file was corrupted to the point where nothing (free or purchased) software could reset a password. In this case, and as there were no user accounts they cared about, I deleted the file. This removed all but the administrator account and set it's password to be blank. Drastic but saved a reinstall of the OS and all the applications.

n79ford

So if push comes to shove, and i would go about doing that, would that delete all the other users information files etc? and when i am browsing through this dr dos program. i can browse but when ever i go to rename delete move or copy it states that it is an invalad directory. but anywho everything would be losted?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online