1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Removing a duplicate of windows operating system

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by akairi97, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

Hi, I really need help in deleting/ removing a duplicate windows that I had accidentally created. I tried to delete the partition that I created by going to the disk management option but when I click on the partition, i don't have the option to delete the volume. I don't even know If im doing it accurately or not. Can some please help me?

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Could you supply some screenshots which should explain it better?

3. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

I cant do a screenshot, but I can try to explain as best as I can. last month I had a virus and what I did was try to reinstall windows but I wasnt sure where to install it when it took the screen and ask where do I want windows to be installed, I had no choice but to choose recovery partition. So now I have 2 windows install and I want to remove one. I tried to remove the recovery partition, so I went to computer, right click / manage, disk management. It pulled up OEM, os: c partition and recovery partition. I right clicked the recovery partition to try to delete volume, but my delete volume is in the gray, meaning that I cannot click on it.

4. SmartSupport

SmartSupport

I think we all need some more information here, so I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is your primary (original) Windows install still infected? If so, and if you can still access it, you may have better luck removing the malware using that section of these forums.

2. When you installed the new OS did it succeed? Is that the copy you are actively using now?

3. If you can get into either OS you should be able to use the PrtScn button on your keyboard to save a screenshot to your clipboard (just by pressing the button when your screen shows the window you want an image of); after that open Paint and hit CTRL + V (Paste) and you should see an exact screenshot, which you can save and share with us :)

Let's start with this and go from there, thanks Akairi!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you save the screen shot using Paint please make it a .jpg. With Windows 7 (or Vista) I find it more convenient to use the Snipping Tool to grab the window (or region). Here is TSG Posting a Screenshot.

6. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

1. I have no more infections right now.
    2. Im not sure if it succeeded, but I dont use it

Here is a screenshot of what I tried to do

Oh I forgot to mention. Ever since I did the duplicate of the windows, I cannot not update my windows at all, I will send a screenshot of what it shows.

7. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

Screenshot

Attached Files:

8. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

Did I do it right?

9. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

Windows error

Here is the screenshot. I tried using the fix it software and It says I have nothing to fix

Attached Files:

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    W.r.t. that last screen shot what happens when you click on 'Check for Updates'?

You can't delete the partition labeled Recovery because when you installed Windows there it also became the System partition (the one with the master boot record).

See posts 6 thru 9, especially # 8, in this thread.

11. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

The screen I sent you for the windows update. That is what it shows when I try to check for updates. Now I have an "x" at the bottom of my computer screen that tells me that my windows cannot be updated automatically

12. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

So how can I remove the duplicate windows installation and which partition can I remove? Ever since that happened, I am unable to do windows update

13. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
  14. akairi97

akairi97 Thread Starter

Hello, that tutorial is really confusing and I didn't understand what was typed . I know that I will make a mistake by going by that tutorial. Is there another one that is easier for me to understand?

15. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    There is no -easy- way of getting rid of it.

The partition is there to store a recoverable image of Windows if you loose your main Windows installation on drive C:.

So I suggest you leave it as it is.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!