1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Removing Adobe Flash Active X - Unique Situation

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by thanhkim, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

Hey guys?

A friend of mine did a clean install of my computer... but he couldn't get into RAID, so it ended up with three drives.

What is crazy is that the two drives have files on them that I haven't seen in a LONG time! One had Program Files and all this stuff I had removed a long time ago. And then duplicates of what is on my C drive.

So, I tried to delete all of it. (first of all, this makes one question what the Clean Install actually does, if it didn't reformat my drives, and also what actually happens when you remove a program).

But... I can't delete the MacroMedia\Flash folder... containing Flash9b.ocx (ActiveX control) and FlashUtil9b (Adobe Flash Player Helper 9.0)

I can't delete them! I went into IE and Mozilla and disabled all add-ons, and I still can't delete it.

It's not even installed on my system, because when I double click on the Helper, it asks me if I want to install it.

It says Access denied. Make sure the disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

How do I remove it?
    Kim

2. kniht

kniht

Try using Unlocker (freeware)

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

If Unlocker can't delete the folder at the moment you will be asked if you want the folder deleted on the next boot.

3. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

I think I figured out why I it says it's being used by another program. When my Adobe Photoshop was installed on the C drive, it has the same Adobe Flash player on there.

So I have duplicates, nad I can't delete either. But I'm not sure if deleting the one will mess up the other, with this program you suggested.

Could I try moving it from the F drive to the C and see if it is replaced or something?

4. kniht

kniht

If you can't move the folder by clicking on 'Move' in the context menu, download and install 'Move on Boot' (freeware) here:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

Open Move on Boot and select the folder(s) you wish to move and the location, reboot.

After moving the folder(s) see if your programs work. If they do you can safely delete the moved folder(s).

5. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!