1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Removing duplicate folders in Picasa

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BIGALX58, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I just uninstalled Kodak EasyShare and installed Picasa 3.5. I find that I have duplicate picture folders. I have a total of 101 folders, many of them are copies. How can I remove the duplicates? Thanks.
    P.S. At one point, Picasa was still scanning (45%) and it was 'showing' over 5000 pics!!!

2. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Sounds like you missed the option in the begiining before the scan to exclude duplicates.
    It would be up in the left corner of Picasa after you click import. ( see the screen shot)

If it were me (since you have so many pics)- I would uninstall Picasa ( make sure you have your pics backed up somewhere) - then I would reinstall and don't let it auto load - click import and select and check the box "exclude copies"

I too dumped that monster "Easy Share" what pain that software was!

Here's some other suggestions at the Picasa site.
    http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=11484

Attached Files:

3. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Thanks...at what point in the download do I have the chance to click 'import' select 'exclude duplicates"? Is this clearly visible/available during the download? I don't want to miss it. I tried the website that you have suggested and wound up with the same problem.

4. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

What worked for me - moved all my pics out of the "My Documents" - "My Pictures"
    And moved them to my backup plug and play disc. ( you don't want any pics in here as this is where Picasa will scan - you wanna import them later removing duplicates.)

After you download and you install Picasa the 1st page will give you 2 options - "Scan entire Computer" or "Scan "My Documents Only" you want to select "My Documents Only" ( see the screen shot)

Then it begins giving you options about making it the default viewer for stuff- I chose "Do not make Picasa the default viewer" as I don't want it opening every time I look at a picture. ( see screen shot)

Now you can go to the import tab top left and you get the option to remove duplicates, you have to select the tab slightly to the right of "Import" where you get to locate the folder to import from. (see the screen shot)

Hope this helps it worked for me.

Attached Files:

5. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

OK..Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I can do that, but I'm not sure how you would move the pics out of 'My Docs...My Pictures'...Could I move them to a USB memory stick?...then how would I get them back to Picasa? I'm sorry for asking these questions, but I'm scared of messing things up...which I have done in the past.

6. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

You could just move the "My Pictures" folder to your desktop- then move it back after Picasa scans.

How to Transfer Your Photos

Using a flash drive to transfer photos is very quick and super easy:

Step 1: Insert your flash drive into your computer’s USB port.

Step 2: You may be presented with a window open that says “Auto Play”

If this is the case, simply click on “Open folder to view files”. If you don’t have this window automatically open, open “My Computer”, locate and double-click on the appropriate device to open.

Most flash drives will be labelled as a Removable Disk (see image below), but some will be labelled as a hard drive. If you have troubles locating your device, remove the flash drive from your computer, open “My Computer” and take note of the drives and devices already there, then reinsert your flash drive into the USB port and watch for a new device to appear. Take note of the name Windows uses to label the flash drive, Removable Disk (F:), for example. Double-click to open.

Step 3: Open the location of the photos and/or folders you wish to transfer to the other computer.

Step 4: Select the photos and/or folders. To select multiple images or folders, hold down the Ctrl key while making your selections.

Step 5: Right-click on your selection, choose “Send To” and then the appropriate destination (in my case, Removable Disk (F:). Alternatively, you can drag-and-drop your photos or folders into the opened flash drive folder, so long as both windows are seen on your computer’s monitor.

Step 6: Once your files have been moved over to the flash drive, click on the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon located in the notification area (bottom right corner of your computer’s monitor).

Select the device and click “Stop”. You may have another window open asking you to confirm which devices to stop.

Select the device from the list and click “OK”. You’ll then be prompted that it is safe to remove the device.

Select the device from the list and click “OK”. You’ll then be prompted that it is safe to remove the device.

Step 7: Plug the flash drive into the USB port of the computer you want your photos on. Open the flash drive folder (as described in step 2), click on one of the images/folders and then click Ctrl + A to select all. Now, either drag-and-drop your folders onto your desktop or right-click and choose “copy”. If you like, select “cut” rather than “copy and once you complete step 8, your photos will no longer be on your flash drive.

Step 8: Navigate to the location you want your photos copied to, right-click and choose “paste”.

You have now transferred your photos from one computer to another using a flash drive! If you have yet to purchase a flash drive, keep in mind that they come in a variety of storage sizes. Obviously, the more a flash drive can hold, the more costly it will be. You don’t necessarily need to purchase the flash drive with the largest storage. Depending on how many photos you’re transferring, a smaller flash drive simply means you’ll need to repeat these steps a few times to get all your images moved over.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/5123.aspx#ixzz0b6gtRJRj

After following the steps for Picasa above - have the USB plugged in and click "Import" then over to the right of that click "folder" and scroll down to the location of the USB. (make sure you check that box remove duplicates)

Besides Picasa I also love this one:
    Water Reflections 2.6
    Sqirlz Water Reflections is a way of adding rippling pools of water, and rain or snow effects, to images or existing AVI video.
    http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads...-freeware.html

Attached Files:

7. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your suggestions and time!! I'm going to take the plunge and try it.

8. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Good Luck- gotta get it ready for the New Years pics.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!