1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: removing engine pulley

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by lexmarks567, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lexmarks567

lexmarks567 Thread Starter

how do you remove a engine pulley that appers to be rusted on and won't come off. Im trying to get it off the shaft of a 11HP briggs engine so I can put it on the new engine. even went as far and heating it with a blow torch and soaking it in a bucket of used moter-oil(right now) how do I get it off. I have removed the screw holding it. its a stacked pully. bottom is 4inchs top is 2 1/2 inchs

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need a gear/pulley puller. However, motor oil is NOT the stuff that will do the trick here, you need a penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench. The point is it should be very thin so it penetrates into the gap and helps loosen the parts.

Of course, plan-B is to buy a new pulley. :)

3. lexmarks567

new pulley is $47 total with shipping for this rider. I figured I would try to save some money and pry the old one off as its for a customer. sense this is a double pully about 4-5 inchs long will that change things. when the engine is on the rider the bottom pully is 4inchs top is 2 1/2 inchs. looks like there both together and would come off as one piece.

4. n2gun

n2gun

As John said a pulley puller and liquid wrench. Soak it real good with liquid wrench. Put the puller on, tighten as much as possible if it does not move tap it with rubber mallet, tighten puller and repeat.

5. lexmarks567

any kind I should look for I will check kmart ace hardware for some/

6. n2gun

n2gun

something similiar this

Attached Files:

7. Stoner

Stoner Banned

A split press plate should be used rather than a finger puller.
    Less chance of damaging the pulley.

8. JohnWill

I think Stoner is right, it depends on the pulley, but a gear puller may bend the pulley. OTOH, I think you need to soak it with Liquid Wrench for a day or so with a couple of applications before you even attempt to get it off.

9. lexmarks567

yeah I can't find a gear puller at the stores. went to kmart aco-hardware and home depot nonone had it. i will have to order it online at acehardware and have it sent to store and pick it up there. meanwhile i sprayed it with Liquid Wrench lets see if it works. I need it off. this engine is a briggs the new is a briggs. and the new pulley is for a tecumseh and that was the orignal engine. so If I order the new one I hope it fits. I don't know if this is the orignal pulley as the old engine is not the orignal

10. wacor

wacor Banned

You could try spraying some Silikroil on it.

Even if it does not work it is great stuff to have. It is WAY better than liquid wrench to free up rusted bolts and parts. This company is legit. I have bought from them a few times. Get the large aerosol can. if you call sometimes they have specials.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

also try the local auto parts shop. lot of times they have tools to rent. I think Murrays does but not sure.

and when do we get a piece of the profit for helping you do your job?? ;) :)

11. lexmarks567

AeroKroil Industrial Size 16.5 oz. aerosol can - $13.00 /individual can :eek: thats alot. I ordered a gear puller and will pick it up today from acehardware. had it shipped to store. if they send it today you know i never new what a gear puller was untill now. I seen them and figured they where inside a engine or somthing to change gears :D

12. Rockn

Rockn

You are working on peoples lawn equipment and don't know what a pulley puller or gear puller is? You would also be better off looking at an automotive store or SEARS for these kinds of tools.

13. lexmarks567

rockin its a wonder your not banned yet with your comments :rolleyes: anyway I had no use for one untill now. :rolleyes:

14. xgerryx

xgerryx

Theres a bit of an art in doing this. After applying the penetrating oil "Liquid Wrench" or whatever and giving it time to do its work, try the blow torch again. Be aware you are not trying to make the pulley red hot, just heat it enough so it expands a fraction without heating the shaft.
    Apply the torch in a circular motion at the pulley around the shaft not at the shaft.

15. JohnWill

And remember that Liquid Wrench is flammable! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/582963