Solved: removing former owner user (admin) account

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

saucier54

I recently purchased a used computer, created an account for myself, but am unable to remove the former user's account. In control panel under user accounts or manage accounts, the former account does not display so I can't delete. Under windows explorer the former account displays and I can work in either account, but want to have only one account on pc for security reasons. Thanks in advance.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Is the account you created an ADMINISTRATOR account?? Thee may be an option that says "manage another account"??

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It appears to me that the old user account was the built in "Administrator" account and was renamed. So it should NOT be deleted, but renamed to Administrator, IF it is truly that.

On ANY used machine one should do a CLEAN reinstall of the OS. This will clean you your current problem and possibly many others that you have not seen yet.

What is the make and model of this machine so we may be more of help?

saucier54

I'm running Windows 7, home premium on an Acer 64 bit platform. The old account is listed as registered owner in the Registry, so I'm assuming your right about the default administrator account. The previous owner didn't have the original OS discs, I only have back-up of already installed OS, so I don't think a clean install will resolve the issue.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Most machines with Windows 7 came with a "System Restore" method.

What is the make and model and we may be of more help in rebuilding this machine?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
The cost is in the licence code not the CDs. They are pretty cheap, even free to download. Just make sure you get the extra drivers, though it will work OK without all but the network ones.

Hi, in the industry we see this quite a lot, go to start search and type:- NETPLWIZ press enter,if the original account is not there, (means they removed it before passing the computer to you) if it is there you can remove it. Now it is also necessary to modify the registry, as the original account will be by default the registered owner, hence shows up all over the place. Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion, locate the registered owner, right click and in the value box type your user name, do the same for registered organisation if it has a value,OK out. Restart and you should be good to go.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online