Solved: Removing icons from desktop without losing any functionality

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chatterjee

My desktop is cluttered with icons I want to remove the clutter by removing icons from it.Is there any way out to do this with out losing any functionality?Please help!

What do you mean "lose any funcionality" ? Like what ?

If you don't want some icons on your Desktop, just delete it.

Most of the icons on your desktop are shortcuts. The most noticable exception is Microsoft Outlook.

You could also create some folders on your desktop, such as security, internet, photography, etc, and place the shortcuts in the folders. That way they are still available and you won't have to go into start to open a program.

As Skibum35 stated most of the icons are likely a shortcut, and they can be deteled. To tell which icons are a shortcut right click it and select Properties. They will have a Shortcut tab. Also most shortcuts have an arrow included in the icon. You can also delete desktop icons that the application can be found within the Star menu or Quick Launch menu. You can also move desktop icons to the Start and Quick Launch menu by drag and dropping them onto the menu.

So you have lots of options.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As skibum said ..
I like to use folders on my desktop to place some of the lesser used shortcuts in.
Then I change the icon of the folder to look like another desktop.

Attachments

I found this in the Tips and Tricks Forum here - create a side panel with shortcuts, which you can hide - all that is left on my desktop is my recycle bin. I really find it very helpful.

http://www.lccug.com/nsidebar.html

Try it - think you will like it.

chatterjee

Thank you everybody for your opinion.

I could have done this easily by categorizing folder and dragging and dropping lesser used shorcuts to it.But I somewhere come accross a tip that dealt with 'removing icons' and to my surprise it was exactly what John Burns said.I wanted this tip because I somehow managed to forget the the tip I previously encountered.

Thanks John,thanks everybody for helping me out....

chatterjee

Well,if you want to remove recyclebin from desktop here is the tip.

1>Start>run>type gpedit.msc
2>On the console,please go through the encircled areas of the attached thumbnail.

If you need more help ask without hesitation.

Attachments

chatterjee said:
Well,if you want to remove recyclebin from desktop here is the tip.

1>Start>run>type gpedit.msc
2>On the console,please go through the encircled areas of the attached thumbnail.

If you need more help ask without hesitation.
I believe above works ONLY on XP Pro - not on XP Home. XP Home requires a registry entry change (or a patch making such change).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online