1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Removing login screen on XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tomtheman70, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tomtheman70

Tomtheman70 Thread Starter

Ok, let me just start with the fact that this is my companies laptop. They were going to throw it away. So I just decided I'd pick it up.

Now I'd like to make this ready for home use.

First question: How do I get rid of the login screen every time I turn on the computer? Its quite annoying to have to login when I'm not going to be working on anyones computer.

Second question: Would it be possible just to remove the whole username system from the computer? I don't like having these users and server names sitting on the computer.

Any help would be appriciated because goodness knows I don't want to shell out $100 for another copy of XP.

2. Tomtheman70

I'd also like to mention that some of the online methods don't work because when I go to user accounts I get a different list of the 3 users (Admin, Test, and USSJO) with a bunch of complicated options.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Then tell us what you have tried. You have many options to do this. You just need to decide what account you want to autologin with.

You can download the XP PowerToy TweakUI. It has an option to Autologin. Syinternals also has an Autologin Utility. Or you can just do it withou extra software.

Start > run > Control userpasswords2
    Uncheck the box "users must enter a username and password......"
    click apply
    Type in the username and password of the user you want to autologin with.

4. Tomtheman70

After trying "Start > run > Control userpasswords2" and then nothing came up I decided I'd reboot the machine for good effect (I had just installed AVAST too)

Upon rebooting the password that I had set before no longer worked and the computer locked itself. I ended up just blasting everything on the hard drive and installing XP home (Thats the 2nd computer it's on Shhh, don't tell microsoft) and I'll just leave it like that because there is no way of putting XP Pro back on there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice