1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Removing Remote Assistance Programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cstortion, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cstortion

cstortion Thread Starter

I realize that remote assistance can be disabled on win xp. Can the remote assistance programs be safely removed? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but hackers today are very inventive.

2. C141

C141

You can further disable it completely in Services. Goto Start - Run - Services.msc - Enter.
    Scroll down to & select Remote Desktop Help Session Manager. Select Disable under Start up Type.

Leave all other 'Remote' items untouched.

Disabling should eliminate any concerns about inventive hackers.

I have not seen any means of uninstalling Remote Assistance. The above has worked well for me.

Remember to Re-Enable it in Services if ever you require Remote Assistance.

3. cstortion

cstortion Thread Starter

Who needs remote assistance when I have the wonderful folks that populate this site. I had already disabled the process you had suggested but thought a more drastic approach, ie. removing the programs, would be even better. I'm satisfied with your suggestion. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice