1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Removing symbols from MS Word XP

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by laneseda, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laneseda

laneseda Thread Starter

Hello,

My system:
    MS Windows XP Pro SP2
    MS Office XP Pro SP3

I convert PDF files to Word documents. When I do, however, I find the symbol, which Word informs me is the "NOT SIGN" placed randomly within the converted text. The symbol has the character code 00AC. It looks like a horizontal line with another line attached to its right side going perpendicularly downwards (like an L turned upside down and the base horizontal line pointing downwards).

Is there any way of removing these without having to scan through pages and pages of text and removing them manually? Microsoft’s TechNet pages are of little use in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Lane

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You should be able to do it with Edit > Replace.

In the Find What, paste the Not Character and in the Replace With, enter a blank.

3. laneseda

laneseda Thread Starter

Hello WhitPhil,

Thanks for the reply. As you might imagine, that procedure was the first I tried. The problem is, when I try to copy the NOT SIGN character and paste it, it doesn't show up in the "Find What" box. In other words, I cannot copy/paste the character. I suppose it is similar to the Carriage Return character which is denoted by ^l. I just need to find the code for this character as well.

Thank you for your input, nonetheless. I appreciate your time and effort.

Lane

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, Lane. Can you upload a file here with that symbol in it?

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Oh! And try this...

View-->Toolbars and choose Visual Basic. Click the LAST button on the right to get behind the scenes in your document. Can you find something THERE that you can find/replace? You can still use find/replace in that view. :)

6. WhitPhil

You can also try using CharMap.

Do Start > Run > CHARMAP

Select the font in question
    Select the "not" sign, then Copy

Then, you should be able to do the Paste into the Replace window

7. laneseda

laneseda Thread Starter

Hello Ann and WhitPhil,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this problem. I appreciate the gesture.

Ann, I did as you suggested but could not find a route to correcting the problem. So I turned to WhitPhil's suggestion - this being next in the thread. This worked a charm! I was able to copy and paste the NOT character. This, as you can imagine, will help me save a tremendous amount of time.

Thank you both, once again, for your help!

Sincerely,
    Lane

PS Anne, the character is ¬

8. WhitPhil

Glad to hear that your problem has been resolved.

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ohhhh! That's a non-breaking hyphen thingee, I think. It's under Insert-->Symbol-->Special characters.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/527533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice