1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Removing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rocker2462, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rocker2462

rocker2462 Thread Starter

I decided to try out Windows 7 and I don't like it. Is there anyway I can remove it and go back to my XP?

2. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

IF you did a "Upgrade" there may be a entry in the "Programs and Features" to go back. The only other way, it to Restore your Image" that you made before installing Windows 7.

You do use and "Imaging program?

If NOT, then back up all of your data, and rebuild the machine using your earlier OS CD's.

3. rocker2462

I'm pretty sure it was an upgrade and I have no Imaging Program. I have an external backup hard drive that I hooked up a couple months ago, if that helps any. I do notice when I go to the C drive there is a folder labeled Windows.old and I also see all my software program folders.

4. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Again, IF you can find the entry in Programs and features, then this "Windows.old" will be used to restore you older version. BUT it must be done using the program and feature entry.

The Windows.old is also made when you do a "Clean" install of Windows 7, but it is used so one can retrieve data from it.

5. rocker2462

How do I access Programs and features?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Control Panel.

7. rocker2462

Thank you

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Probably an Upgrade (discounted price) version, but not an Upgrade install, as that kind of install of Windows 7 is not available from XP. You will need to install XP from your installation CD.

9. rocker2462

Yeah thats what it's starting to look like. I kinda knew I really did not want 7, but just wanted to check it out and now I"m kicking myself for doing it. Live & learn (the hard way)

10. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052194