(Solved) Renaming pics requires extention now-why?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobber

For over a year I have been able to happily rename photos I have downloaded from my digital camera onto my computer. I would simply right-click on the image, e.g. IMAG0005.JPG and rename it to 'car'. No problem. Now when I do it I get the message that changing the name without adding the file extention (.JPG) will make the image unusable. I did it and yep, no longer is the picture visible. I renamed it to 'car.jpg' and it was ok. Never had I had to do that before. I recently installed Webshots software and wonder if that may be the culprit. Thanks for any help.!

bobber

Hi. I am using Windows Explorer with Windows XP. Really strange...

If the extension is showing when you rename it, you need it there after you change the name.
Try hiding the extension like this:
Go to an image in explorer
Click tools > Floder options > View Tab
Put a check in the box labeled "Hide extensions for known file types"
Apply, Ok

Then try to rename a file and test

bobber

That worked! Problem solved!! Thank you so much LONGHAIR.

Thank U LONGHAIR!!!!!!!!! I had this problem 2 :) I love google and nice ppl :D I've registered just to say Thak You Very Much! (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online