1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Renaming Primary User Account

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bubblz, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi,

I've gotten myself in somewhat of a pickle. I have a system that I had built for my husband. I later built a new box for him and decided to sell the previous one. A friend wanted to buy it so I purchased a copy of Windows XP so they'd have their own license, but instead of rebuilding the box, I wiped all the pertinent programs and info they didn't have licenses for and changed the license number to theirs. The problem is, I want to change the user account name under c:\documents and settings to reflect the new name.

I have created a new ADMIN account, logged in as this account and renamed the account "mitch" to "don". All this does is creates a new user "don" and moves the "my documents" (I have downloaded numerous pdf files that I've created instructing him on how to update antivirus, antispyware and general info on computer use, security, etc. and placed it in the My Documents folder) from "mitch" to don". All programs, etc (all the antivirus, antispyware, etc.) have to be reinstalled.

Both users are administrators. Isn't there a way to do this so that it will actually RENAME the account from "mitch" to "don" without buggering up Windows?

Thanks.....Bubblz

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You need to create a new user account to change the directory where files are stored under the My Documents folder.

Changing the displayed name only changes how it is displayed but not the underlying actual user account.

3. bubblz

Hi Bob,

I understand that. What I want to do is get completely rid of the "mitch" account under "documents and settings". It won't let me do that. I have 2 Administrative accounts created -- Bubblz and Owner. Owner has both "don" and "mitch". "Mitch" is the folder that contained all the original settings, etc. It's more of a nuisance than anything since the new user's name is "don". I'd simply like to rename "mitch" to "don", but can't.

I have the following structure under c:\documents and settings

All Users
    Bubblz
    Default User
    Mitch
    Don

I'd like it to no longer show Mitch, but when I try to login as "Bubblz" and delete it, it just tells me it's a Windows critical folder.

Thanks.......Bubblz

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"I'd simply like to rename "mitch" to "don", but can't" - Exactly. That's not how user accounts work.

If you want to delete an account:
    Log on with another account that has admin rights
    Delete whatever other account you want
    Then delete that user's directory

5. bubblz

Gotcha! Done! Okay, I have created a new user account; however, before deleting the original user, I wanted to create a restore point (in case, as is often the case, things go poorly). System Restore was not functioning properly so I reinstalled it (START -- RUN -- %windir%\inf\sr -- ran the install using slipstreamed copy of XP Pro SP2 -- all went well).

Here's the new question. I wanted to verify that system restore now works so I created a couple restore points and attempted to restore to them. I receive the lovely message (yet again) that "system restore cannot restore my system to this checkpoint. Please select another checkpoint". How can I confirm that system restore is indeed working properly if I can't test it?

Thanks.....Bubblz

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I have never relied on system restore working. As you are experiencing, it doesn't always work. Preferred something more reliable like an imaging product. Acronis True Image is one good one.

7. bubblz

I've never tried that one. I've always used Norton Ghost, but didn't have access to all my hardware when I sold this system and was unable to create an image. You're absolutely right though. As the user was only going to use the system for internet, etc. I figured I could slap a new OS, etc on in 'bout half a day and image it then. But.....images are priceless.

I've never been a fan of System Restore and am even less of one now. I've run into a LOT of broken SRs lately. :(

8. pikespeakbob

pikespeakbob

I'm experiencing something similar when trying to change a name in the Documents and Settings folder. I'm the Administrator "Jim" but the name of the folder I'm trying to change to Jim is now named "Bill." "Bill" is not in the User Accounts list and when I try and change the name the error message is "Bill is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed." Very frustrating.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep. See my first post in this thread.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can probably copy all the files and folders you want from Mitch to Don, then delete the user account Mitch, and then delete the Mitch folder from Documents and Settings. Of course, this does nothing for the installed programs problem.

I assume that the reason you couldn't restore is because "the system hasn't changed"? If so, just change something in the registry (not sure what--maybe the screen resolution or the desktop's icon layout) and then try the System Restore.

11. pikespeakbob

pikespeakbob

I was able to create a new account with Administrator privileges and copy all of the folders from under the account I'm trying to delete (Bill) but still cannot delete Bill as the error message says that "Bill is a systems folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted." I did change My Documents under properties to access the folder I want (Jim) and it now accesses that folder the problem of deleting the folder Bill still remains. Am I looking at a change/delete in the registry? Thanks again in advance.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What account are you logging on with when you try and delete Bill's account and directory

13. pikespeakbob

pikespeakbob

Logged in under Jim, Account Admin. Bill does not appear in User Accounts but only under Documents and Settings along with Jim.

14. pikespeakbob

pikespeakbob

Also, when I right click on the desktop to create a new folder the folder properties show it to be under C:\\Documents and Settings\Bill\Desktop.
    Somewhere, somehow these two users account info must of got corrupted and it looks like I won't be able to correct this until I can delete the systems folder "Bill," wherever that's located.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

pikespeakbob,

Still not sure what has been done.
    For starters, you are logging on with Bill's account.

But maybe it's better to start your own thread on this. It's confusing enough.
    Again, you can't change the underlying user account.
    If you want a new one, create a new one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice