Solved: Renaming the USER Folder/User Name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CDobyns

I've got a hand-me-down laptop that I inherited from my dad (IBM Thinkpad 600X), which is running Windows XP Home Edition.

I never cease to be amazed at what sort of weird configurations my dad managed to get in place, or how much time it takes to undo some of these configurations now that the laptop has been handed down. Sometimes it almost reminds me of the story of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

I've noted that under Task Manager, somehow my dad got the User Name under the Processes tab, which usually displays USER, to somehow display his name (let just say for right now it's displaying Icabod). How do I reconfigure that setting to just display USER. Although I'm not using the suspect laptop right now, I think that he managed to rename the USER folder under Documents and Setting directory to Icabod, and that's why it shows up under the User Name on the Task Manager. This change apparently has nothing to do with the Computer Name or Computer Description Name or Workgroup Name.

How do I change that back to just say USER, or whatever the default setting is? I tried to change the USER folder name on my own laptop, and Window rejected my attempt to do that, with some message that the USER folder name was a system requirement.

(signed) Washington Irving

DoubleHelix

Banned
Windows XP's Task Manager displays the actual username of the user the process is running under. It doesn't display the word "USER". If you want to change the actual user name, I'd suggest going through User Accounts in Control Panel. It won't work to change the folder name on the hard drive.

The best solution for strange settings and old user names is to reinstall.

CDobyns

Okay, I'm not sure what's going on here, but the Task Manager seems to be displaying the name of the former user, although you can see that I've set-up myself as the new Computer Adminstrator under the User Account panel. Not sure why my name doesn't display under the User Name under the Processes tab.

You've only changed the display name. The account name is still the same.

You might just want to create a new account with your name, copy over the profile, and then delete the old account.

CDobyns

I'm closing out this incident and giving partial credit to both Elvandil and an answer proposed on another board (http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/75486-renaming-user-folder-user-name.html#post410592). Both were heading the same direction, but the other board poster provided a little bit more help in that profile copying over/transfer thing. And it turns out that Task Manager actually does display the name USER under the process user, or at least that's what Task Manager is displaying now that I've created a new primary computer administrator acccount, and deleted the old "Jerry" account.

We're going to mark this one Solved. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online