1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reopen WORD file, get gibberish/nonsense

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by perstare, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

XP Pro Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP 3)

Just this morning, I opened several Word files (.doc) and instead of the text that I had saved, I got this:

:XÏ:‰'ÝÍN%Z {B
    e¹/:êk&3``2
    #&Ó©6?e!ZZ
    o&Œ1&øY|3¾ûÁ`Í'^À@bG
    O¤vÉ(±*°MA2n‰SCohYÅB›Xt‚ÂÊ

v?LÍp
    uvòï„?!`fxS
    %
    N
    u¹[p({xUgÈlªJ·-æ
    Preferred Customer
    Normal.dot
    Preferred Customer
    Microsoft Word 9.0

Who out there can tell me why this is happening? It might be important that the only out of the ordinary thing I've been doing with Word lately is trying to solve a file conversion from ,wdb to ,doc. (I have other posts on this board dealing with that.) ...but it is possible that I've unknowingly TAMPERED with some part of Word that is responsible?
    Thank you.
    Mike B

2. JosephTCSS

JosephTCSS

Well a works database file to a word document never seems to convert properly because alot of the database information and coding gets lost in translation so to speak.

What appears to have happend is the way Word deals with the IPA characters. Try to adjust word back to the way you have it before.

3. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

JosephTCSS Thank you for your reply. Your answer pointed the way. My error was in the box called "Files of Type..." when I opened the file. I forgot to put it back as it was, so that .doc files and only .doc files would be opened.
    The problem is cured and I thank you.
    BTW My wife and I BOTH enjoyed your "Call me Charles Babbage" description. I laughed out loud at it and my wife came over (from her own computer) and saw what I was laughing at.
    LOL!
    Mike B
    I'm still smiling.........

4. JosephTCSS

JosephTCSS

Glad I could help.... Also excited I got someone to smile.... I always liked the fact those things are contagious.

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice