1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: repeated unexpected shut downs!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dannyjaylouis, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyjaylouis

dannyjaylouis Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I'm not such a technically advanced computer user, but I've been getting a ton of unexpected shut downs lately, seemingly out of nowhere. I don't believe I've updated any software recently. Is there someone out there who'd be willing to take a look at my specs and try to come up with what the problem is?

Thanks,
    Danny

Attached Files:

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hi Danny. Whats the make and model of your system? What are you doing on the system when these shutdowns occur? Need more information to try and get to the bottom of the issue.

3. dannyjaylouis

Hi Lance1, thanks for your reply. My machine is an emachines e725. It came with windows 7 standard, I have since installed windows 7 ultimate a while ago.

4. Lance1

Lance1

Are you getting any BSOD's? Is the laptop hot to the touch?

5. dannyjaylouis

Hi, yea I get the blue screen each time, and it's a little hot, not burning though.

6. Lance1

Lance1

Go to c:\Windows\Minidump Compress the file or files inside and upload them here please. Are you running the laptop AC or DC?

7. dannyjaylouis

Hi,
    There's no files in that folder.
    AC or DC? Not sure -- how would I tell? I'm using the power supply that came with it, although I'm in Israel, which runs 220 volts, like the rest of Europe.

8. Lance1

Lance1

So you are plugged into the wall (AC) When it shuts down are you plugged into the wall outlet? Or are you running from the battery (DC) This my be heat related as you say the laptop quite warm. Can you hear the fan running in the laptop? Try and get your hands on a can of compressed air and blow it in the vents at the bottom of the laptop to clear any accumulated dust. As for the dump file look for MEMORY.DMP in C:\Windows.

9. dannyjaylouis

Hi again, thanks for all your help so far.

I'm plugged into the wall pretty much all the time. I'll try the compressed air. The fan runs off and on, not all the time.

That file's not anywhere (did a search)

10. Lance1

Lance1

Right click Computer on the desktop and select Properties. Follow steps 1 through 4 in the image. Are those boxes checked in step 4? and how is the debugging information being written, Small Memory dump or Kernel Memory Dump?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. dannyjaylouis

all the boxes are checked, and it's kernel

12. Lance1

Lance1

Then a file will be created in C:\windows as MEMORY.DMP. Lets take a look a the CPU temperature. Please download Real Temp Extract it, open the folder and run RealTemp.exe What is the CPU temperature?

13. dannyjaylouis

Hi,
    that file still isn't found anywhere.
    temperature is between 40 - 47 C, right now around 45, says status is "OK"
    I'm gonna be going for a while now, thanks for your posts, I'll continue on next time i'm available.

14. dannyjaylouis

hi again, it happened just now, and a memory dump file was created this time. how to i send it to you?

15. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

If you remember what the message stated on the BSOD, please put it here.
    As for the file, upload it to somewhere and paste the link to it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!