Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] "Replace Disk" error

1K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  WarC 
#1 ·
I was able to fix my earlier problem with my new A7V mobo, but now when I start up it tells me that there is an invalid system disk, and to replace it and press a key. That is all fine and dandy, except that THERE IS NO DISK IN THE DRIVE. At first I thought my drive might be dead, because it was making a racket, so I switched Floppy drived with my Linux comp. The noise is now gone but I still get the same message, and I NEED this stupid floppy to install a frickin' OS on the thing.

#3 ·
Wow...that easy? Now I feel like an idiot. My stance as a "Computer Geek" is officially withdrawn for a week. Shame, shame on me.

#5 ·
Not just yet! I switched the boot sequence, happy as ever....but the problem still persists. Boo Asus! Poor tech support from there company, too. Good thing I have you guys.

#7 ·
Yes, first I took it to the last step: Then I disabled it completely. after that failed, I physically unplugged the power and cable from it. If its not plugged in I get an error, if it is and its disabled I still get an invalid disk error

#10 ·
No, there is no OS on the system: thats what I'm trying to do now. And I can't set my boot order to CD-C-A, because even if I do the same error pops up. I contacted Asus, but they haven't responded yet.

#11 ·
New update: Now the error that I got when I unplugged the floppy shows up even when its plugged in "Floppy Drive fail (40)" I know this isn't true, because out of three floppy drives in the house i've tried 2 in this machine, and all three have had previous use, so I know these drives work. Even when I press F1 to continue boot up, the old "Invalid Disk" pops up again, even though the bios says it can't find a floppy drive. I'm going to kill something.

#13 ·
I tried switching floppy cables, the one I was using in my old comp instead of the nifty rounded black one: Bios still reports dead floppy. I then switched the floppy with the one in the linux box again: Still reported dead. Of course, the invalid disk error pops up still, even though my cdrom has no cd in it, and my floppy has no disk in it. At least that big Dynatron heatsink/fan looks pretty on my currently useless processor. La la la. (Frustration...anger...fury...and now a relaxed calm)

#15 ·
You think I could trick Asus into replacing it? Mwuuhahahaa...eh...This sucks. I just ate though, and theres a mildly good looking girl staying at our house tonight, so I feel ok. Quick! to the sedatives!

#16 ·
Have a couple of beers and she'll be a fox! :D

I can't believe that it's the motherboard, otherwise you wouldn't get a post or get as far as the floppy drive error....just my opinion, I could be wrong :confused:

Also, did you understand what I said earlier.....if you have NO operating system on the hard drive......the system isn't going to boot! You NEED to boot to either a bootable floppy or a cdrom, if your system has that option.....quit looking at the girl and pay attention!!!!!! :rolleyes:

#17 ·
:( By chance does the light on the floppy drive stay on even without a disk in it? If it does the cable is reversed. Before you give up on the mobo try clearing the BIOS and reconfigure the settings. The only other thing I can think of is if one of the pins on the floppy drive port on the mobo is bent or broken. I saw this on a machine a while back.

#18 ·
Look at his earlier post about having a standoff grounding out his motherboard:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=62959

I will guarantee you that is the cause of all the problems he is ahving. I would send it back to ASUS or the store where you bought it. As long as the scorching where it was grounding out isn't obvious they will replace it no problem. If it was grounding out to where the pins are for your CPU you probably blew that up as well.

#19 ·
Worry not, I found the problem. Several pins are completely missing from the motherboard floppy connection. Uh oh! I contacted Asus and they'll mail me a new one, as long as I send this one back with a receipt...Cha-ching!

#21 ·
This proves my anti A7V-266 stance, though. You crazy 3000+ posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.