Solved: Replace Optiplex Motherboard with ATX

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

miket1144

I have an Optiplex GX280 Minitower. The motherboard seems to ailing, I suspect as the result of running the BIOS update. Has anyone replaced the Dell board with an ATX board? I realize this is not a drop in but there seems to be plenty of room. Boards are available at around the same price as a refurbished Dell board and don't have the limitations of the Dell board. O/S is not an issue. After the change the only remaining original components would be the case, front I/O assembly and possibly the heatsink. I have a pentium E5400 without a home and would like to use a board that will run it. Thanks. Mike

leroys1000

Banned
You would probably be better off buying a case for it to
avoid all the proprietary mounting and parts.
The dell power supply uses a different wiring setup than
standard atx and would need to be changed.

miket1144

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to preseve the Dell rail sytstem for mounting drives, one of the few good ideas they have had. Somewhat offset by the "get on hands and knees and probe blindly" front USB ports. Mike

miket1144

Thanks again, It's an option I hadn't considered but will now. I have several 280's and don't think past them at some times. Mike

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online