1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: replacement for spyware guard

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by carlo_scute, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlo_scute

carlo_scute Thread Starter

Good day experts,moderators,fellows

I was wondering if there's a good tool to replace Spywareguard?Since it's not being updated anymore.. Anyone' still using it?

Any good tool to replace this? (preferable free/shareware)

Is A squared free a good software to protect my pc?

Currently i'm using spybot/Avg av free/ Avg antispyware free
    peer guardian/spywareblaster/zonealarm free 6.5.737/and spywareguard
    and ad-aware se personal
    + mvp host files + ie-spyad list

thanks for your opinion and advice(and if i need to uninstall any software, that'll be great)

2. stantley

stantley

WinPatrol will provide real-time protection and is a good replacement for SpywareGuard. Another one is Windows Defender, but it's not as good as the old Microsoft Anti-Spyware.

3. carlo_scute

thanks stantley, i''l try winpatrol free,
    anyone else's views? how about a squared free?

4. carlo_scute

5. TOGG

TOGG

I don't have A2 myself but I recently checked their website for another enquiry and it seems that only the paid for version of A2 provides 'real time' protection. The free version is a 'remover', just like Spybot and AdAware.

If you have Spybot in Advanced mode and enable the TeaTimer feature it is supposed to give some 'real time' protection, but I have no idea if it actually works as claimed. When I tried it my computer bogged down, but it is very old and underpowered!

6. stantley

stantley

I have a-squared free and it's a pretty good scanner, it caught a few things that Spybot and AdAware missed, but as TOGG said it doesn't provide real-time protection. I've also used Spybot Tea-Timer and I liked it, but it did cause a minor problem. Another good scanner is AdAware.

If you want to spend a little money get Webroot Spy Sweeper or Spyware Doctor.

7. carlo_scute

thank you Togg!..
    .. should winpatrol be my replacement,or a squared?

-anyone else?

8. carlo_scute

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"WinPatrol" is a very good program to have keeping an eye on your system. It lets you know when some change has been "proposed" and by whom. You then decide whether or not to allow the change to be made. There are other features, too. This is quite different from real time spyware programs.

{redoak}

10. hewee

hewee

I took away Spywareguard a long time ago because WinPatrol does what it did and so much more and too less CPU to run.

11. carlo_scute

thanks for the help!

12. hewee

hewee

Your welcome

13. carlo_scute

i'm now using it(win patrol) but can you add asquared to the setup?

or is too much,or would there be conflict?

[avg antivirus free ver.,zonealarm 7.0.302 ,spybot, winpatrol free ver.,peer guardian,
    avg antispyware free ver.,spwareblaster
    and host files from ie-spyad and mvp plus and aware free ver.).

14. stantley

stantley

You can get a-squared free since it's only a scanner, so there would be no conflict.

15. hewee

hewee

Yea go ahead and get A2 free because like stantley it is only a scanner that runs when you use it.
    Just when it finds something check it out before deleting. It is a good program but now and then what it finds is false. Like a couple days ago others and I had pig.search in are startup or so it said we did. They fixed this the next day.
    With WinPatrol nothing gets in the startup with you knowing it anf giving it the ok.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice