1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Replacement motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kurtismonger, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kurtismonger

Kurtismonger Thread Starter

Due to a failure I need to replace my Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra motherboard. Since these are no longer sold I need to find something that is compatible with my existing components.

I wouldn't mind replacing the CPU (AMD XP 2400+ socket A), as long as the new MB could still use my existing ram, as I have almost 2 gigs of it.

This box is my main workstation so I want as much performance as I can get. I also occasionally play games.

Only interested in MB's with AMD CPU's and at least 2 SATA ports. I would like it to have Firewire support as well, but this isn't an absolute.

Here is the gear I would like to reuse:
    ATI Radeon 9700 (AGP 8X)
    RAM DDR PC2700/CL=2.5/UNBUFFERED/NON-ECC/DDR333/2.5V
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2.ZS
    2 IDE hard drives
    1 SATA HD
    Sony DVD Burner
    AOpen CDROM
    Floppy drive

Also, if possible specify a source where I can purchase the recommended board.

2. karbonfyber

karbonfyber

Ebay? There's one for $80 Buy-It-Now here.

If not, i recommend getting an Asus A7N8X-E

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    For the hardware side its not much of an issue, pretty much any new Socket A motherboard on the market would work.

Its the software part thats an issue. If you plan to boot your existing Windows installation you may need to take some extra precautions. First would be to try to use another board with a VIA chipset; however the NForce2 chipset in my opinion is superior to any VIA chipset. Second would be to look at this: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

4. Kurtismonger

Kurtismonger Thread Starter

Previous install of Windows is a non-issue. I will be reinstalling from scratch. I have heard good things about the NForce2.

5. mwalter

mwalter

I have a nearly identical situation to the original post (and the same motherboard...hmmm). I saw the earlier post about the Asus motherboard as a replacement. The asus looks like it supports PC3200 RAM while the original poster has PC2700 (I have PC2100). What I want to know is would the slower chips we have really work on the Asus motherboard that says it needs PC3200 RAM? I would think this would be a hardware concern. Thanks.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, slower RAM will work just fine as long as its the same type; ie. DDR, SDRAM, DDR2.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice