1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Replacement screen needed for my Dell Latitude E5400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dannyyoung, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyyoung

dannyyoung Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I recently closed the lid on my laptop a little too hard (although nowhere near hard enough to damage the screen, at least I thought) - however it now has a crack in the corner. That will teach me for being heavy handed.

I'd like to buy a replacement screen and fit it myself, but I am struggling to find the correct model and part. I could take it to a local shop to repair but it will cost me twice the price and I have been inside electronic equipment before so I think I should be OK.

Can anyone help me determine what screen I need to buy, or where I can find out - and also if there are any online video guides to help with this sort of job?

Thanks for reading :)

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The best way to get it right without guessing (I see the E5400 is made with both CCFL or LED backlights which aren't interchangable) is open it up and look at the label on the back of the screen. Look for the part number something like LP141WX5(TL)(C1), B141EW04, LTN141BT02-001.

The Dell support site has fairly good service manuals that show how to repair their laptops.

3. dannyyoung

Great thanks for the tips, I have found the guide on the Dell website and will check this out, cheers!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. dannyyoung

OK so I got half way through taking the laptop apart, when I came across a very stubborn screw. I am using the right sized jewellers screwdriver (the others have come away very easily) but this one did not want to budge. I have tried different angles, different sized drivers and now I am concerned that I have burred away a lot of the cross on the screw head. It looks to me like someone else has taken the laptop apart previously to do a repair and not put the screw back in properly.

What is the best way to tackle this - I know its not strictly a hardware question per se but I am sure that many of you have come across this before. Very frustrating as I want to get this laptop repaired!

Thanks for reading!

6. dannyyoung

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice