1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Replacing ECS RC410-M mobo w/ Intel mobo - help pls.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ohbrandi, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ohbrandi

ohbrandi Thread Starter

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=c00753788&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The above link is to the HP specs for the machine. The mobo is overheating and yes, i've done all the reg maint stuff. Let's call it dead, bury it and buy a new bride. :p I did upgrade the video and sound last year but those devices should be good for a few more yrs. This pc is strictly for gaming, music and my embroidery machine software.

I have never replaced a motherboard (nor cpu) before though I've done all else. My concern is that in my eagerness to get this girl back up an running, I overshoot and choose a board that won't support the current devices. I'd love to replace the cpu right now too, but w/ 2 bdays and christmas coming, I can't afford it.

So help me, geniuses. What motherboards would support the pos Pentium D 820 (S) DC 2.8 GHz socket 775, but still allow me to celebrate my 42nd birthday with a new cpu (a quad? ohh ahhh) next april? I have searched and searched, and it's probably staring me in the face, but I can't figure out the mobos.

I'm guessing some of these would work, but again, brain doesn't work as well as it should and I just cant figure it out. http://techreport.com/articles.x/8666/1

Thanks for your help.

Peace,
    ohbrandi

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I would suggest that you replace with the same board.
    Otherwise,your restore disks wont work with the new hardware.
    If you do use the same board,you should be able to install it
    hook up the connections and hardware and then should have
    no problems booting to your existing windows installation.

Appears they have them here.
    Motherboard.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

That won't work Leroys as it has to be from HP to use the restore disks as that will have the bios switch to recognize the restore disks. There is no way I would buy an Ecs board new anyway as they are such junk.
    Of course what we also don't know is is there a proprietary plug from the case to the motherboard which would eliminate being able to use any other board either.
    Like it or not you either have to buy it from HP, buy the one suggested and a copy of Windows, or replace the pc which frankly is the best idea. ( I saw your restraints to spending big bucks, but I have to suggest the best solution anyway.)

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The board I listed was made by ECS for HP.
    It is the same board and should work fine.
    Please check the link.
    Also,they are trying to keep cost down and can't afford a new computer or
    new windows disks at this time.

5. ohbrandi

ohbrandi Thread Starter

The new xp install is not a problem. I will be doing a fresh install using a retail copy of xp pro.

6. ohbrandi

ohbrandi Thread Starter

Rats, knew there was something I was missing. So many folks complain about hp's proprietary boards... how would i find this vital piece of info out?

And this plug...is it too the case itself or cpu or what? I have a half-dozen cases lying around, surely one of them will work.

7. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Really would need your price range for a case up rebuild as
    you will probably need to replace that power supply,
    May be able to find something that can run you present processor
    and accept future upgrades.
    For economies sake,I would consider the one I listed to keep
    you going until you can save up the money to do the rebuild.
    The proprietary plug would be on the motherboard and power supply.
    If you do a build with an ATX motherboard,your present power supply
    may not be compatable.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

OH ok that is fine then.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's from the power button and is either one big plug with power start, reset, hdd light etc built in or loose jumper wires. If it is loose wires then I am sure you can use any board there and many are these days.

10. ohbrandi

ohbrandi Thread Starter

I put everything on hold til after halloween and my son's birthday. I'm still not sure exactly what I am going to do, but after months of non-WOW time, I think I'll just exact-replace the board and worry about upgrading some other time.

I'd like to thank everyone on this board for their patience and ability to educate me.

Peace,
    ohbrandi

YES WE DID!!!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/762923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice