1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: replacing old router with a new one

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NJMom130, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

Hi,

I need to purchase a new router. I have a linksys wired and wireless and plan on replacing it with another Linksys wired and wireless. Once I plug all the computers in do I have to do anything to the new router?

Thanks

Nancy

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

You should get a manual with the router and it will give you step by step instructions to set it up, change the password, etc...

3. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

I can't use the current user name and password? It's the user name and password that I have set up with Verizon who is our DSL Carrier

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Don't forget to get all the information off the old router I.E. port forwarding and any other things you may need.

5. jhoegl

jhoegl

These days routers come with a "save configuration" under the administration pages of the router.

It might transfer without much hastle, but I would write down all configuration settings anyway.

6. cybertech

You can use the same name and password but you will want to go through the setup and configuration with the new router.

7. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

Ok

I'll let you know how I do

8. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

All taken care of. As you stated they requested my user ID and password for my ISP so I'm glad I marked it down.

Thanks for your help

9. cybertech

(y)

You're welcome, happy we could help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice