1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Replacing Small Form Factor Case with bigger case / new PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluemonkey519, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluemonkey519

bluemonkey519 Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire X1700 (Details
    It's about 2 1/2 years old now. Came with Windows Vista, I upgraded it to Windows 7. Also has a newer video card than what came with it.

Anyway, The PSU fan is getting really obnoxious, it gets really loud (more or less like a lawn mower). I have taken the thing apart and have tried every suggestion given to quiet it down, which it does for a whole week or two. This is a small form factor PC, so to even take the power supply out you have to basically take out everything else just to get to it. I have looked for replacements but they are very obsolete. It's only 220W anyway, so i'd like something a little more powerful.

What I want to do is get a larger case that I can use the same hardware is (motherboard, drives, etc) and purchase a larger power supply for that case. 220W really limits the PC. The small case holds a lot of heat even with all fans cleaned and working properly. Even just taking a CD/DVD out that was in it is very hot. I want a case with better airflow than this one.
    I really am not sure what kind of case to get that will meet my needs. I don't want anything really fancy. If possible I'd like to get it off newegg.com

Any suggestions would be great.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. iamdon

iamdon

You might want to check first the form factor of the motherboard. Is it ATX, mini ATX, or one of those propriety boards such as some DELLS. I recommend Antec 300. Nice case with good airflow.

4. bluemonkey519

The motherboard is a MicroATX
    Thanks for the suggestions so far - I will do some looking around on Newegg. anymore suggestions are great :)

5. bluemonkey519

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!