Not open for further replies.

Solved: Replacing the hard disk drive?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Ok basics first:
  • Computer: Compaq Presario C700
  • HDD model: Samsung HM160HI

The Story:
Basically I was using the computer some SMART thing came up telling me that the hard drive was inevitably going to crash. I did a primary hard disk self check, which also told me the hard drive was stuffed. So after paying someone like $50 to do what I found to be the same thing, and tell me the same thing, i decided i was going to replace the hard drive by myself (they wanted like $200 for the work alone).
So bought one online (used the model number from the one I took out and ordered the exact same type so I know that it is compatable). When I put it in i got a black screen with:
no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key. So then I put in the recovery discs I made from recovery manager with the old hard drive, and ran a system recovery, seemed all was going well til i received the following error message:
Error 0x400 100 130000 1002.
If this issue continues, please contact HP Support.

I clicked OK then it came up with a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner. Now when I go to start up it appears to start normally: goes to boot option screen, and then just to the black screen again.

What is this error, what do I need to do?
Also please don't give me really technical advice i'm not that great with this stuff.

See less See more
#4 ·
How would I go about getting the windows disks cause the laptop was preloaded and I didn't get any disks. The hard drive that is broken will still work when it's in my laptop it just tells me that it's going to crash like every 5 minutes, would I be able to clone that one? How do I clone it, and do I need any cables or anything? Would I be better off just going to a different computer shop and getting them to load it up for me?

#6 ·
it just keeps coming up with the black screen and blinking light and i get that error message, when i run the recovery discs. I haven't jumpered it at all i don't have any of the cables to do that and i don't know how to anyway. If i run a primary hard disk self check when the new hard disk is in it says that it's fine. Does that mean that BIOS is recognising the drive. I changed the boot order in BIOS to run from the disk but it doesn't make a difference.

#8 ·
Jumper is not the issue as this is a laptop. The error is telling you the Recovery disks are corrupt. You can go to www.hp.com and under "support" "Downloads" where the drivers are listed for your model, you can buy restore disks for around $20 shipped, which you will need to install on new hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.