1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Request: USB tethering device driver for 'Android Phone' on Windows Vista 64-

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Fractalogic, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fractalogic

Fractalogic Thread Starter

Hey all!

As the thread title says, I need this device driver and I need it fast. As I don't have an active broadband connection anymore I am trying to connect to the Internet using my Android device as a modem (USB tethering). But I am curently stuck here. It seems I need a driver for this to work.

I am using Windows Vista 64-bit with SP2 and a HTC Desire as modem. When I connect the phone Windows is looking for drivers for a device named 'Android Phone'. It fails to find it and asks me what to do. I obviously can't let it search for it on the Internet. And I don't have a disc with drivers, I didn't get one.

I am using the Android phone to type this. As I have limited screen size and no mouse or keyboard, it's really hard for me to do a Google search to track down this driver issue. As far as I can tell, this should work out of box on Windows Vista. It seems that only Windows XP users are having this issue. Even on the Google Help it says that Windows XP users will need a special driver to enable USB tethering. But then again, why am I having this problem on Windows Vusta then?

I need to get back online fast, as I have bills to pay and things like that.

Thanks in advance!

2. Fractalogic

Fractalogic Thread Starter

Hi again! I just wanna let you know that I have solved this little problem. As it turns out it does pay off reading the manual. Also, it is not completely true that Windows Vista comes with appropriate drivers pre-installed. You still need to install these, even on Windows Vista, and on Windows 7. But I still wish that things like these could just work out of the box. But for that reason alone, I may need to switch to a different operating system.

The solution was very simple. I did need to install the device drivers. But I didn't need to download and install them separately, they came pre-packed as part of the HTC Sync tool. And this thing comes cleverly stored on the MicroSD of the phone. So I just installed that and I was able to use the phone as a modem. It worked very good. The Internet connection did hang up on me once, but after a reboot of the phone it worked again and I was able to do my business effortlessly.

The thing is, I have terminated my old subscription, and I completely forgot about it and when they were supposed to shut down my connection. So it just happened, unexpectedly. But I have ordered a new Internet subscription with my new carrier and I am expecting it to be activated in couple of minutes.

Thanks anyway!

P.s. Just for the record, the HTC Sync tool is stored on the root of the memory card, the MicroSD card of the phone. It should say something like 'HTCSync_2.0.28.exe'. Just plug the phone to the computer in USB mass storage mode and locate that file, run it, install this tool and it should be all set for tethering.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice